Discuss Training For Us DIYers... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Pete E

-
DIY
Reaction score
Having read some of the threads on the forum, I can see the issue of DIYers working on domestic electrics is a bit contentious but I hope this question will not cause any problems.

I was wondering whether there is any form of training where by a DIYer like myself can extend their domestic electrical knowledge? I am thinking of something like night school or what have you???

I am not looking to become a fully fledged/trained electrician but would like to increase my knowledge to equip me to do more of my own electrical work, regulations permitting.

Is there anything out there that is suitable or is it a case of a little knowledge is a dangerous thing?

There are short courses where they will teach you the basics.
There is also collage which they will teach more, over a longer period.
What are you looking for?

Having read some of the threads on the forum, I can see the issue of DIYers working on domestic electrics is a bit contentious but I hope this question will not cause any problems.

I was wondering whether there is any form of training where by a DIYer like myself can extend their domestic electrical knowledge? I am thinking of something like night school or what have you???

I am not looking to become a fully fledged/trained electrician but would like to increase my knowledge to equip me to do more of my own electrical work, regulations permitting.

Is there anything out there that is suitable or is it a case of a little knowledge is a dangerous thing?
Pete, I applaud you for wanting to learn more about Household Electrics, but doing your own work as an inexperienced and unqualified person is fraught with pitfalls, "Special Locations, Part P, notifying you LABC as well as adhering to the BS7671 (the wiring regulations).
Absolutely no problem with you improving your electrical knowledge, work on the electrics is best left to Professionals, in my opinion. You could try your local College to see if they run a "basic understanding and electrical appreciation" course, when I was working we employed a training provider to "as it was put to me, to teach the inkies (desk flyers) all they need to know about the dangers of electricity in the Home" it was well attended, but I have long forgotten the name of the provider.

Last edited:
I personally don't have an issue with DIYers doing work on their house. As long as they have the still and knowledge to do a proper job and to regs.
Some people don't like it when you don't give them a step-by-step guide on how to do things. If you need that then, personally, you will get no info from me.

There are short courses where they will teach you the basics.
There is also collage which they will teach more, over a longer period.
What are you looking for?

Looking for basic introductory courses as evening classes or weekends I suppose...I am not looking to switch employment and become a spark and neither am I thinking that a couple of months of evening classes will result in me being a trained spark...

Pete, I applaud you for wanting to learn more about Household Electrics, but doing your own work as an inexperienced and unqualified person is fraught with pitfalls, "Special Locations, Part P, notifying you LABC as well as adhering to the BS7671 (the wiring regulations).
Absolutely no problem with you improving your electrical knowledge, work on the electrics is best left to Professionals, in my opinion. You could try your local College to see if they run a "basic understanding and electrical appreciation" course, when I was working we employed a training provider to "as it was put to me, to teach the inkies (desk flyers) all they need to know about the dangers of electricity in the Home" it was well attended, but I have long forgotten the name of the provider.
Electrical Courses for Beginners – Basic Electrics Training | The Builder Training Centre - Electrical Courses - Construction Training Courses - DIY Courses - https://thebtc.co.uk/brochure/electrical-courses-for-beginners/

As above. Loads of training companies out there that offer short courses of various types and will relieve you of lots of money. Lots of info on this site re the various training routes and courses. General consensus is that colleges may offer better value for money. Beware with some of the 5 week wonder courses as they’re a bit like double glazing companies, some a lot better than others and will halve their initial quoted prices to fill some courses. Also stacks of info on YouTube. As a DIYer a good start is to get your head round IET BS7671 wiring regulations which is neatly summarised in a much more succinct book called The On Site Guide. There is also another similar book called The Electricians Guide to the building regulations which will tell you where and how big you can make holes to your house! Have fun!

The problem for myself is I don't know what I don't know, if that makes sense.

I know enough to say rig a light safely in a garden shed for instance, but my installation would probably not meet all the regs, best practice or convention...Now I do happen to know that garden electrics fall under Special Locations of Part P, so would be a no no, but I am using it as an example of a pitfall I am trying to avoid, if that makes sense!

I should had that I have a telecoms background to HNC level and have worked with low voltage stuff for years..we also covered some aspects of Electric, Light, and Power as it was termed as an apprentice, so while I am a million miles away from being a trained spark, I am not completely clueless about the basics either...

Last edited:
Thanks Guys, the books and the 4 Day foundation course mentioned in the link sound as if they could be exactly what I am looking for...I will definitely look into those further...

Good luck - it's nice to see people taking an interest. Just know your limits and stay well within them.

Start with the basics, Ohms law, etc. - this should be easy for you given your background. Also read up on the various dead tests and live tests - not just how to do them, but understand why they are performed, and what the results could mean.

The testing aspect is something I am particularly interested in, that and the ins and outs of the earthing side...

One other reason I want to expand my knowledge is so that if I do have to call an electrician in to do anything, I will have a basic understanding of what he is talking about ect...

I've suffered the consequences of "dodgy tradesmen" (directly and indirectly) in the past, so am keen to be able to spot bad practice and avoid it.....

The testing aspect is something I am particularly interested in, that and the ins and outs of the earthing side...

One other reason I want to expand my knowledge is so that if I do have to call an electrician in to do anything, I will have a basic understanding of what he is talking about ect...

I've suffered the consequences of "dodgy tradesmen" (directly and indirectly) in the past, so am keen to be able to spot bad practice and avoid it.....
Electrical Courses for Beginners – Basic Electrics Training | The Builder Training Centre - Electrical Courses - Construction Training Courses - DIY Courses - https://thebtc.co.uk/brochure/electrical-courses-for-beginners/

Guidance Note Book 3 from the IET is well worth having as well. Very informative on the inspection and test side of things.

If I can put a negative spin on this thread.

To carry such work in your own house, shall we say to comply with Part P building regs, will require a certain amount of investment.

As others have said, you would need to pay for some training courses. You would also need to invest in some testing equipment, and purchase tools, if you haven't already got them You would also need to consider, whether any of the work required notification to local building control.

All in all, if a cost benefit analysis was carried out, I think most would come to the conclusion, that it would make more financial sense, to employ the services of an electrician, unless perhaps you have a large scale project in mind.

I'm sat here typing, because my van is currently in the garage, getting a fault fixed. I perhaps could of gone to night school previously, in preparation for this event. However I'm content to pay for repairs to my van, by someone with the skills, knowledge & suitable equipment. Next week, I'm getting my chimney swept by a registered chimney sweep. I could perhaps go out and by some brushes & rods and do the job myself, but I'm not sure how my insurance company would respond, if the chimney happed to catch fire, due to my sweeping skills.

I see what your saying Midwest, but where do you stop things? Do you stop people fitting 13A plugs in their own home? I personally don't class myself as a qualified car mechanic, but am quite comfortable changing brake pads, etc. If I asked a mechanic for a bit of advice I wouldn't like being told 'I'm not going to help you because you aren't a fully qualified mechanic and you need to get an apprenticeship'.

If I can put a negative spin on this thread.

To carry such work in your own house, shall we say to comply with Part P building regs, will require a certain amount of investment.

As others have said, you would need to pay for some training courses. You would also need to invest in some testing equipment, and purchase tools, if you haven't already got them You would also need to consider, whether any of the work required notification to local building control.

All in all, if a cost benefit analysis was carried out, I think most would come to the conclusion, that it would make more financial sense, to employ the services of an electrician, unless perhaps you have a large scale project in mind.

I'm sat here typing, because my van is currently in the garage, getting a fault fixed. I perhaps could of gone to night school previously, in preparation for this event. However I'm content to pay for repairs to my van, by someone with the skills, knowledge & suitable equipment. Next week, I'm getting my chimney swept by a registered chimney sweep. I could perhaps go out and by some brushes & rods and do the job myself, but I'm not sure how my insurance company would respond, if the chimney happed to catch fire, due to my sweeping skills.

I think you make some valid points, but its not just an issue of money.

Just before Christmas we had a leak from a faulty mixer tap. A plumber came out (I was working) but could not get the parts he needed till after Christmas.

When I got home, I was able to determine it was something I could do myself and replaced the whole mixer tap for less and quicker than waiting for the plumber.

One Saturday before Christmas, the OH reported turning on the oven was causing the electric to trip. Within the hour I had traced the problem to a faulty outlet where the oven was plugged in and had replaced it with a spare I already had..

On boxing day, the fridge/freezer started to play up...OH was more than a bit concerned given how much food was still in there, but a little poking about showed it to be cause a frozen stat...

These were relatively minor issues, but a little bit of knowledge allowed be to sort things not only cheaply but quickly. Had my initial checks uncovered anything complex or major, at that point I would have been happy to call in a professional.

I see what your saying Midwest, but where do you stop things? Do you stop people fitting 13A plugs in their own home? I personally don't class myself as a qualified car mechanic, but am quite comfortable changing brake pads, etc. If I asked a mechanic for a bit of advice I wouldn't like being told 'I'm not going to help you because you aren't a fully qualified mechanic and you need to get an apprenticeship'.

In the most part I agree with you DPG. But I tend to hold my breath when working in some domestic properties which have been set upon by DIY'ers, and that's not just electrics. Doing some work in a kitchen this week, where the previous incumbent had used laminate flooring on the walls instead of plasterboard.

I gave crawling around under my car, quite a few years ago. I don't see it as a hobby, I just want it fixed without it falling on my foot.

Nope If I want a hobby, I'll take up kayaking or something :)

I think you make some valid points, but its not just an issue of money.

Just before Christmas we had a leak from a faulty mixer tap. A plumber came out (I was working) but could not get the parts he needed till after Christmas.

When I got home, I was able to determine it was something I could do myself and replaced the whole mixer tap for less and quicker than waiting for the plumber.

One Saturday before Christmas, the OH reported turning on the oven was causing the electric to trip. Within the hour I had traced the problem to a faulty outlet where the oven was plugged in and had replaced it with a spare I already had..

On boxing day, the fridge/freezer started to play up...OH was more than a bit concerned given how much food was still in there, but a little poking about showed it to be cause a frozen stat...

These were relatively minor issues, but a little bit of knowledge allowed be to sort things not only cheaply but quickly. Had my initial checks uncovered anything complex or major, at that point I would have been happy to call in a professional.

So therefore, you have the necessary skills & knowledge to rectify such minor faults.

Seems you are now looking at the next step. How far to you intend to go.

So therefore, you have the necessary skills & knowledge to rectify such minor faults.

Seems you are now looking at the next step. How far to you intend to go.
I think the OP has already explained his intentions in #1 and#5 yes we have to take his intentions at face value, but that's all we can do.

Reply to Training For Us DIYers... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock