Discuss Training in green energy - good idea for the future? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Adam87

Hello everyone,

Im 24 and very intrested into getting into the electric industry, but have been slightly put off recently due to the lack of work and the hard times at the moment. Im from london and i think its a bit of a risk to get trained as an electrician at the moment and hope to go into work as their is no shortage at the moment and that looks as if it will continue for the future. Its the same when i research plumbing, Opinions on this would be welcome please.
For the record i just would prefer a job when im on my feet, have a certain amount of freedom and i generally enjoy the challenge to fix things.

So after doing a little research and asking a few people, i have been advised to get into the green energy saving sector. Alot of people say it has a very good future and the sooner you get into it the better. I was thinking of getting trained in
led lighting, solar, heat exchanger, ground source heat pumps etc...i think this is the way to go, but would just like some sort of reasurrance or some advice from the forum, which is brilliant by the way.

I have a college near me which does courses lilke enviromental technology, electrical etc...but i am unsure which course to take or more importantly which course would benefit me in the long run.

Im very serious about this, so any help would be most welcome.
Thanks for reading.

Adam

The construction industry is a very tough business to be in at the omoment. Rates have been slashed, costs have gone up. my day rate for general electrical work has gone from £250 4 years ago to £160 now, and I'm still being undercut. Now, before you start thinking £160 a day sounds alright, factor in your diesel, van purchase, tax and insurance, professional insurance, trade memberships, training and updating and all those days when you aren't getting a full day rate.
If you make 20k a year after 2 years building the business you'll be doing well. That's in the south.

The renewables industry I would stay well clear of until the situation becomes a little clearer. There are lots of very experienced solar installers looking for work out there you'll be competing with.

You need to consider who will also employ you when you have finished your course and have no practical experience, because going out on your own without experience is well dodgy. I would say you need at least a couple of years on the tools before your ready. I would suggest try and get a job labouring for an established sparky before parting with any money for training to see if it's for you, but don't expect to get paid much (the lad that used to work for me started out working for free!).
You won't spend much time on your feet, most of it is on your knees or on your belly sweating your bits off in a loft somewhere!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Moggy,

Thanks for the reply, its much appreciated. I initially liked the idea and thought i would enjoy it, but after reading your post, it makes you second guess yourself. I wanted an industry which has a promising future. Hence why i was having a look at this. I honestly thought there was more opportunity than there actually is, which is sad. I was looking at the electrician route as well, but that is gridlocked right now and simply too risky to go into.

I guess i will have to keep looking and researching. Againt thanks for your response and advice.

I agree with what Moggy has written, The renewables should have a long term future, what other choice is there? Gas, Oil, Coal???

The industry is just in such a mess at the moment, good companies are laying people off, others are closing down, and the rest are doing what they can to survive to try and ride through it, how long they can survive though is another question.

I do not know what I would advise anybody what career path to take at the moment, if I knew I would be doing it myself.

But good luck in whatever you choose.

Thanks mate. Seems like an awful lot of people are in the same boat at the mo. The times are just increasingly tough right now. Im myself trying to decide what i want to do and which area to go into. Thanks for the response and the advice. Whatever happens i will choose something which has a stable future.

Moggy has summed up the industry, certainly a Essex and London based business it's very true. It seems everyone thinks the grass is greener on the other side. It surprises many established solar PV firms why so many continue to train in the industry. I wish the positive marketing from training firms and word on the street was from customers not people looking to join the industry.

Reply to Training in green energy - good idea for the future? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net