Discuss training options for 18th starting to emerge in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
Had an email from NICEIC, they are starting to give some thought for the 18th training. Where there is a profit and a way to extract more money from electricians you cna guarantee certsure will be involved somewhere.
It looks like you can do the full course if you havent got a recent 17th ed. or If you have done the most recent 17th with amd 3. then do an update course.
They will be running there own courses it seems for this. is this separate from city and guilds????they are going to offer both options as online courses for you to then just attend to sit an exam which seems a good option. also likely to be cheaper than a 5 day course. It doesn't say if the exam will be one they put together or if it will be the city and guilds one?
i have enclosed the link below
18th Edition Training - https://www.shop.niceic.com/18edition-news/18th-training-options

When I came back into the industry in 2012, I paid for a 3 day weekend course at a local college, naively I would get some tuition to bring me back up to speed.

What was I thinking :rolleyes:

'1 July 2018 and will come into full effect in January 2019', although I've read somewhere the July date might change. They've probably discovered some errors in the text :D

All they need to do is issue formal amendments to all approved Electricians to detail where things have changed. Criminal law and legislation changes every 30 seconds. Police officer and lawyers don’t have take exams every time things change. They may have to do a quick CPD though some online system to acknowledge they’ve read the update but charging a fortune to retake an updated exam that you’ve already taken is a mickey take. Scheme membership price should include a mechanism for continued professional development...that’s the whole bloody point of maintaining standards and safety!

All they need to do is issue formal amendments to all approved Electricians to detail where things have changed. Criminal law and legislation changes every 30 seconds. Police officer and lawyers don’t have take exams every time things change. They may have to do a quick CPD though some online system to acknowledge they’ve read the update but charging a fortune to retake an updated exam that you’ve already taken is a mickey take. Scheme membership price should include a mechanism for continued professional development...that’s the whole bloody point of maintaining standards and safety!

That's because they are in the public sector, and can decide how much training to pay for, and we are in the private sector where others decide how much money to make out of us. :)

I see both sides of the coin. I understand why those that are fully capable of reading a book feel hard done by by having to pay for a course teaching them to suck eggs.

However; think of it from a business point of view. Having these bolt-on qualifications is a proven way to show to your client base that you take the regulations and your industry seriously.

I will not be hesitating in getting all my guys on this course. It is good practice and will instil confidence in your clients.

all very well, essex for larger concerns, cost is low compared with turnover, but for the 1 - 2 man self-employed, it's a massive overhead.

I don't mind doing the on-line learning package, just don't understand why I've got to go somewhere to take an exam. Its not as if I would cheat or anything, if I did it at home. Or can't you take the BBB into the exam.

When the 3rd amendment came out, I did a Certsure on-line thing, cost about £50, which albeit tis a rip off when you consider I'm already paying them 500 squids a year, its not the £495 I seen being quoted for some 3 day course in a classroom.

Reply to training options for 18th starting to emerge in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock