Discuss Transformer from CU to door bell (Ring Pro) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys

I need some advice with cable routing.

I'm planning on buying a Ring Pro doorbell (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ring-Video-Doorbell-Chime-Transformer/dp/B01DM6BDA4) and installing it on a new build house. There is currently no doorbell installed (it was a completely insane cost to get this included with the build).

The transformer it comes with has a din rail mount on it, and there are 4 free slots in the consumer unit in the garage. The plan is to feed the transformer off a lighting MCB (6A), and use bell wire to feed the power from the transformer to the door bell. I plan on sheathing the wire for the section that sits within the CU (just for my own peace of mind as I don't believe there is any regulation saying that it has to be 230v rated wire withiyn a CU?).

My issue is with routing the wire to the doorbell. The CU is located in the garage, with a single shared wall between the garage and the entrance door. The easiest way for me to route the cable would be to drill through the wall, take it straight down the wall cavity to below the skirting board, and run it below the skirting board (going under the door too) until i get to the adjacent wall where i would go vertically up to the point where the doorbell would be mounted.

I'm a bit apprehensive to run the wire below the skirting board, but laminate will be layed in the next few weeks (with an obvious expansion gap between the skirting board and the laminate). As the laminate will also raise the floor level, the wire will never be in a position where it can be compromised. I'm not sure if the fact that it's only 24v changes anything either.

Any recommendations? Or flaws with my logic?

Last edited by a moderator:
as the cable will only be elv, there's no danger from shock. run it wherever you want.

Thanks for the replies guys. No pictures as of yet, still in the process of moving into it!

Is there any issues to how I plan running the feed from the transformer in the CU? Is sheathing it until it comes out the trunking overkill?

Thanks for the replies guys. No pictures as of yet, still in the process of moving into it!

Is there any issues to how I plan running the feed from the transformer in the CU? Is sheathing it until it comes out the trunking overkill?
It doesn't need sheathing the insulation is suitably rated.

Reply to Transformer from CU to door bell (Ring Pro) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net