Discuss Transformer help needed in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

jaydub

-
Reaction score
Hi, I've come across this 40 year old transformer.

It's 400VA with 240V AC input, 13/16V AC output.

Its for swimming pool lights.

Could anyone shed any light (excuse the pun) on the definition of 'CTE' and if there is a modern equivalent exactly the same as this?

I can find very similar transformers but with a 12V output, would this matter? I'm not sure...

Any help appreciated, thanks

Transformer help needed 400VA Transformer - EletriciansForums.net

CTE means centre tapped earth. This is on the secondary side of the transformer. It basically means that the centre of the secondary is connected to earth meaning the maximum voltage to earth in your case would be 6 volts.
110v Portable tool transformers are usually connected this way meaning max voltage to earth is 55 volts.

This will sound daft but there is nothing wrong with it but the client just wants it replaced with a modern, new one as he has had the pool system updated.

/
That's the exact idea that I was just contemplating, seems a bit naughty but it would solve my problem and I could just sell it to him as 're-conditioned' :D Thanks guys
If there is nothing wrong with the existing TX, why change it? how much will a new one cost him?

That's the exact idea that I was just contemplating, seems a bit naughty but it would solve my problem and I could just sell it to him as 're-conditioned' :D Thanks guys
Think you will find that is fraudulent and I hope you are not being serious.

while you there. them walls could do with a lick of paint.
I would go for midnight black!
paint good old British made bricks????? sacrilege.

Just to clear up any misconceptions here, I will and always do explain to my customers in full detail what it is that I am carrying out for them. A successful business is built on trust between a spark and his clients, you will not get far ripping people off! I hoped that the green face was enough to clarify my sarcasm in my previous post.

Thanks for everyone’s helpful input and I hope that has cleared things up.

Just to clear up any misconceptions here, I will and always do explain to my customers in full detail what it is that I am carrying out for them. A successful business is built on trust between a spark and his clients, you will not get far ripping people off!
That's the exact idea that I was just contemplating, seems a bit naughty but it would solve my problem and I could just sell it to him as 're-conditioned' :D
you said not us!

You can find new equivalent replacements but I wouldn't see a replacement as being an improvement unless there's a corrosion issue. The old one is probably better made and will probably outlast than a new one TBH. Just replace the enclosure if you're worried about the aesthetics

Reply to Transformer help needed in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock