Discuss Transformer or Central Heating buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

Transformer

Hi All,

I would really appreciate if someone could help me ascertain what the continuous electrical buzz/hum noise is under my floorboards?

I stay in a flat directly above a shop. They had been leaving their Emergency Light on through the night and I thought this may have been contributing to this noise. Or perhaps a transformer on charge? But even after switching this light off the noise is still present 24hrs a day. I must stress I have no electrical knowledge whatsoever and this is where you guys come in..

I phoned shop again today and spoke to one of the staff who let slip that a new central heating system had been installed recently and that panels had been taken down from their ceiling. My questions are twofold.

What would they putting in the cavity between their ceiling and my floor that pertains to central heating and thus noise?
Are they not supposed to inform residents that they are installing a new heating system?

I would be so grateful for any advice. I am going out of my mind with this constant buzz that travels to other rooms in my flat but is most prevalent in my livingroom:sad3: Thank you.

i don,t think c/h would cause any buzzing
it could be a noisy fluo light in the shop (the transformer inside)
there should be a fire barrier to stop a fire/ noise from reaching your flat sounds like its been interfered with

And can anything be done other than moving home?
No, nothing at all. Consider a cardboard box under a bridge since the weather is quite mild.
Seriously though, in your position I'd go to the shop when the noise is at it's worst and invite them up to hear it for themselves then ask them what they did and what they are going to do to ease your discomfort. Most people will try to help if they know the size of the problem

You could also point out to them that whatever it is it is costing money to run 24hrs and may be something that is suposed to be switched off at closing time.

Boydy

You live in Edinburgh so speak to them again ie the boss and say can you please sort this or I will call Environmental Health at Edinburgh District Council they will turn up with their equipment and check it out

Id say it was the central heating pump! I caused the same issue to my neighbour a few years back, pump was running on speed setting 3, problem was resolved by turning down to speed setting 2, i guess it depends on where the pipes run and what they are fixed too, simply turning the pump down may not be enough in this case

Id say it was the central heating pump! I caused the same issue to my neighbour a few years back, pump was running on speed setting 3, problem was resolved by turning down to speed setting 2, i guess it depends on where the pipes run and what they are fixed too, simply turning the pump down may not be enough in this case

Since when did a central heating pump run 24 hours a day ?

If you can get to the pump and it has speed settings, alter the speed. It’s a simple switch on the terminal box. If the hum alters you know what it is.

Is that too logical?

well....what you have to consider here is the neighbourhood..
it isn`t just a noisy floory thats getin on your ---- is it..

Eh? What's wrong with the neighbourhood - have I missed something here? Daz

If the place below has fridges/freezers, then it's most likely the compressor units on these. As the weather is now warmer, they will be working harder. Also, as the ceiling panels are down, you will be losing what little soundproofing there was.

Only way is to get them to turn off every circuit until the noise stops , once you know what circuit it is you will then have a better idea on what it is making the noise , my bet is it will be a emergency light or flu ballast or a transformer, failing that a bee/Hornet nest lol

Reply to Transformer or Central Heating buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net