Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

transformers

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum' started by Zaffy, Feb 19, 2012.

Discuss transformers in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Zaffy

Zaffy Guest

Please can anyone explain the theory behind transformers and 12 volt halogen bulbs.

My dimmer transformer is about ten years old and is made by IBL lighting.
    It is a 4105.00, this is presumably their number.
    20-75VA 24 230AC 50/60HZ 75VA max

Six 12volt halogen bulbs run off it. What wattage is allowed.

Thanks.

2. Engineer54

Engineer54 Guest

You don't say what the wattage is on these 6 12V halo's

I wouldn't go more than 50/60 total watts max!!

That transformer is getting a bit long in the tooth now at 10 years old. Think about replacing it, with a suitably sized unit for your needs...

3. Zaffy

Zaffy Guest

Dear Enginner 54,
    Do you mean 50/60 watts max each bulb? That would mean just 10 watts per bulb.
    or
    the total of all six bulbs equalling 50/60watts max? That would work out to 360 watts max.

The lights are not working and I wondered if I had overloaded the transformer.
    I was thinking of buying an exact transformer replacement, the model is still made by IBL Lighting.

4. cook1e

cook1e Regular EF Member

at that wattage 1 transformer per lamp

martin

5. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    well, 1 halogen lamp is usually 35VA or 50VA, so looks like a definite overloading . personally i would use 1 transformer ( 60VA) per lamp.

6. ian.settle1

ian.settle1 Trusted Advisor

Ever so slighty

7. Engineer54

Engineer54 Guest

Wow, ....And there was i thinking that you had one of these set's, with those 10 or 15W push in Halo lamps. ...lol!!! Just how long did this transformer last, with trying to drive 360W ....not long i shouldn't think!! As others here have suggested, use a single transformer with each lamp, or go with 230V halogens, they tend to be a more reliable set-up in the long run anyway...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.