Discuss transformers in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Z

Zaffy

Please can anyone explain the theory behind transformers and 12 volt halogen bulbs.

My dimmer transformer is about ten years old and is made by IBL lighting.
It is a 4105.00, this is presumably their number.
20-75VA 24 230AC 50/60HZ 75VA max

Six 12volt halogen bulbs run off it. What wattage is allowed.

Thanks.

You don't say what the wattage is on these 6 12V halo's

I wouldn't go more than 50/60 total watts max!!

That transformer is getting a bit long in the tooth now at 10 years old. Think about replacing it, with a suitably sized unit for your needs...

Dear Enginner 54,
Do you mean 50/60 watts max each bulb? That would mean just 10 watts per bulb.
or
the total of all six bulbs equalling 50/60watts max? That would work out to 360 watts max.

The lights are not working and I wondered if I had overloaded the transformer.
I was thinking of buying an exact transformer replacement, the model is still made by IBL Lighting.

well, 1 halogen lamp is usually 35VA or 50VA, so looks like a definite overloading . personally i would use 1 transformer ( 60VA) per lamp.

Dear Enginner 54,
or
the total of all six bulbs equalling 50/60watts max? That would work out to 360 watts max.

I was thinking of buying an exact transformer replacement, the model is still made by IBL Lighting.

Ever so slighty

Dear Enginner 54,
or

Wow, ....And there was i thinking that you had one of these set's, with those 10 or 15W push in Halo lamps. ...lol!!! Just how long did this transformer last, with trying to drive 360W ....not long i shouldn't think!! As others here have suggested, use a single transformer with each lamp, or go with 230V halogens, they tend to be a more reliable set-up in the long run anyway...

Reply to transformers in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock