Discuss Tri phase board out singles in in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

the pict

-
Mentor
Reaction score
I am doing commercial refurb at the mo, everything is supplied from an old Memshield 3 phase board, the landlord wants the various spaces metered so he can bill the tenants separatly, at present he is just adding a flat rate to the rent, I have no issues with how to go about it however one unit is quite small is it acceptable to use two phases say L1 and L2 within what would normally be a single phase CU, IE seperate heads, mainswitch, RCD and ways, space withing the electrical plant locker is limited, I personally have never seen it done and have mixed feelings on it but it has crossed my mind as a possible solution,
Pict

still lost sorry, okay you are saying there is a 3 phase supply and several business units? and some are wired in single phase and one wants 2 phases, so you intend to meter them but want to put 2 phases through a single phase DB? Don't want to act dumb here haha, but I am a little confused still, and it is mid morning so I should be wide awake.

Last edited by a moderator:
still lost sorry, okay you are saying there is a 3 pahse supply and several business units? and some are wired in single phase and one wants 2 phases, so you intend to meter them but want to put 2 phases through a single phase DB? Don't want to act bumb here haha, but I am a little confused still, and it is mid morning so I should be wide awake.

You and me both!! Perhaps ''Confused dot com'' maybe able to help?? lol!!

Thats about it, although the two phases in one board will supply differant units seems odd I know,
Imagine a trhee phase board with one phase missing there is no three phase using equipment within the location,
this will be a temporary set up till I get the old board out and the builders have finished hacking the place apart
PIct

Well I am still confused, however I would suggest a TP &N board fed from the main board, you can then connect lights and sockets across 2 Different phases and balance the load as you wish, 2 phases in a single board IMO-A nono, you will need phase barriers with proper ratings, making it up yourself may well be very dangerous.

Temporary 3 phase lash-ups are always a source of great danger!! Use a 3 phase board for your temporary supplies, and make it as safe as you possibly can, Including taking account of the protective devices being used, for the duration of the builders /civil works etc....

It is a temporary set up, and the phase barrier was my main concern when using a pliable plastic CU thanks all I will consider other options
Pict
Why not get a din rail enclosure(Hagar),fit a 3 pole isolator at one end and then hard wire into groups of mcb,s,linked with Hagar insulated busbar.The Hagar unit has N and E terminals also.
Regards,
HZ

Get a 2tier board to make up as you want many manufacturers do empty enclosures you can then fit a phase per tier like 2 consumer units in one, you could also build it however you wish a 1, 2 or 3ph board with as many tiers as are available and multi phase busbar kits..... im slightly unclear as to what you are getting at but a design and build kit looks like what your after.

This post is a clear as really muddy mud. I've read it twice and really not quite sure what the question is and what answer he is looking for? Am I being thick or missing something?

- - - Updated - - -

This post is a clear as really muddy mud. I've read it twice and really not quite sure what the question is and what answer he is looking for? Am I being thick or missing something?

=onions1066;681656]This post is a clear as really muddy mud. I've read it twice and really not quite sure what the question is and what answer he is looking for? Am I being thick or missing something?

Nope, it's still as clear as Mud as to What he is trying to do, or Why!! lol!!

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason is the landlord wants seperate metering, it is one of those jobs you need to see to get the idea, the final solution is easy, the temporary fix is not,
Pict

Reply to Tri phase board out singles in in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net