Discuss Tripping 6amp breaker in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

eco-tech

Morning,

Called to a mates house last night and he tells me his lighting 6amp breaker keeps tripping after about a hour or so.

He says it keeps trippiong more often each day.

Any ideas ?

What tests have you done? What type of lights are in the house? How old is the board? Is there RCD protection on this circuit - and if so, is the rcd tripping or the mcb?

It has 8 lights on the circuit.. it tripped when the downstairs lighting was on.

I had a look at some fittings and all looked ok !

How come it trips after a hour and not trips when lights switched on ?

Yes I isolated the outside light.

Not sure if he has one on the front tho !

My thoughts was the same on that one.

It's the fact it trips out after a hour or so that gets me !!!!!

Have you removed all lamps and done an IR test, including switching? Sounds like a loose connection or insufficient insulation on conductors at some point. Probably trips after a while because of heat build up - a ceiling rose most likely culprit.

If you have eliminated the possibility of an overload situation & moisture ingress, I/R testing sounds like the next step to determine if there is a wiring issue causing L-N 'arcing' of a sporadic nature which in turn leads to a build up of heat.

It might also be as simple as a faulty MCB.

Yes IR is 200

Not looked at any light fittings yet tho

You think it could be a loose connection ?

After I looked at some switches tho they had lots of copper showing. Me thinks this could be the problem !

I'ts MCB, the connections are ok.

Just a thought, the outside light is still connected from a socket plug but not switched on. Would it still be poss that water has damaged the outside light and when its still plugged in but not switched on it causes it to trip ?

Sorry stupid me regarding the outside light lol

I put them all in the on position to get my reading.

Just can't understand why it trips after a hour and not when its switched on

Yes But I connected them out the circuit etc.

As it happens one of the 2 way switches does not work as it should

Do you think this is the problem ?

It only works if one of the switches is in the on position.

Reply to Tripping 6amp breaker in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net