Discuss Tripping electric shower in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

I think about 4 or 5 times with the old shower and twice with the new one. The first time I tried the new shower I tried it on the coldest setting then switched to the next setting up then finally the hot setting and in all it lasted about maybe 4 minutes

Thanks, my bet with Spartykus is looking a little bit better (pardon the pun)

does the 45/50amp thing make any difference? (my previous post)
not a scrap of difference, the A rating is the rated max. load for the switch. either there is in excess of 60A going through that MCB, or it's knackered.

Do you think that maybe the old shower was knackered after all then and I haven't wasted £120? I would really like for that to be the case :)

Would it have taken a fault to knacker the MCB to start with or do they just go for no reason?

Last edited by a moderator:
could be either, or even the cable, impossible to guess without being there.... you could have the old shower tested .

if i were on site, i would test cable and shower, then fit new MCB .

Last edited:
Cheers. I will report back with the outcome. With the old shower I had to hacksaw a bit of the plastic connector pipe off to get the nut off to use again, couldn't get it off for the brass olive so the parts may be okay but it couldn't be used as a shower unit again

Hi

Personally i wouldn't carry on guessing. Yeah its good to have an input from the experts on this forum (i am not an expert) but until a electrician is not there to test the entire circuit you wont know.

Consider your own safety and the amount you have spent.. i would leave it off and wait for the electrician

as , unlike plumbers, electricians tend to turn up when they say they will.

I am going for a low reading in meg ohms if you IR this, something like where the regs state below 2megohms then investigate.....this could be the case

Well he hasn't phoned back, thought he might have phoned last night or this morning just to let me know he got my message and maybe say when he could have a look so I have went and got a new MCB @ £16 odds and tried it and it appears to be working. Had it running for 7 minutes without it tripping. Hopefully that's what the problem was but I'd still like it checked out to make sure there's nothing else wrong

Just goes to prove, the simple things are generally the best things to check/change first. Seems the OP has replaced/changed just about everything on this installation except the cable, ..Shame the MCB was the last thing rather than the first...lol!!! Expensive learning curve that one, but one he won't forget in a hurry!! lol!!

Just goes to prove, the simple things are generally the best things to check/change first. Seems the OP has replaced/changed just about everything on this installation except the cable, ..Shame the MCB was the last thing rather than the first...lol!!! Expensive learning curve that one, but one he won't forget in a hurry!! lol!!
Yes :icon9: . Hopefully the old shower was what caused the problem with the MCB, can the old one (shower) be tested without being connected up? About 4 years is all we ever get out of those type of showers usually, ofen not even that. In years gone by we never had a MCB, it was just a fuse but the shower used to blow too after about 3 years

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Tripping electric shower in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net