Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Triton shower rcd issues in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. sc_7901

sc_7901 EF Member

hi there, I’m just looking for opinions/advice. A couple of years ago I had a 8.5kw Triton shower installed by a local company. In May it broke. Triton installed a 9.5kw omnicare. It’s broken again. Triton say the rcd is the issue this time. The RCD is 40 amp which apparently is not strong enough. What I find astounding is Triton did not check the rcd before installing the new unit. Apparently it’s not their job! Apparently the rcd wasn’t even right for the old 8.5kw shower either. Am I wrong for thinking Triton should’ve checked the electrics before installing the new one? I know they couldn’t have fixed it but I’d rather they had done that than leave me with a broken shower after 2 months!

2. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    they are talking out their corporate arses. 9.5kW = 40A, so the 40A RCD , although on it's limit, will not cause your problem.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Strima

Strima Electrician's Arms

And how would an RCD break a shower?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. sc_7901

sc_7901 EF Member

My other half has informed me although the rcd is 40 the circuit breaker is 32. Would that be the issue?

5. sc_7901

sc_7901 EF Member

Strima, seems like the shower is tripping the electrics. Triton are blaming the rcd

6. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    a 32A breaker will trip at 40A in approx 10 minutes. that may be your cause.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

What is tripping?
    The mcb?
    The RCD?

8. sc_7901

sc_7901 EF Member

Yeah, the shower will work for a short time and then cut off. Is it correct that they weren’t even suitable for the old 8.5kw shower?

9. sc_7901

sc_7901 EF Member

The RCD

10. sc_7901

sc_7901 EF Member

What is good practice? Should Triton at least have had a look before installing the 9.5kw unit? Seems crazy that they wouldn’t, regardless of the fact they couldn’t rectify it.

11. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

If the rcd is tripping best you get the circuit and the shower tested .... .

Probably cost you about £50

Then you will know where the problem is

• Like Like x 2
  12. Strima

Strima Electrician's Arms

Did they carry out any form of testing when they swapped your shower and more importantly did they leave any certification?

TBH I know the answer already...

• Like Like x 2
  13. sc_7901

sc_7901 EF Member

As far as I could tell, the only testing was switching it on. I wasn’t given any paperwork

14. sc_7901

sc_7901 EF Member

Would the original installers, the local company who installed the 8.5kw, be liable since apparently they’ve installed the wrong rcd to begin with?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    None
    Not taking the rise Mate, what else doesn't work when the Shower trips? is your fuseboard a modern one with 2 RCDs or just 1?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1