Discuss Trouble threading Doorbell Wire through an existing hole in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All

I have tried to wire in a doorbell and I'm having trouble getting the wire through the hole on the inside to the outside and vice versa. I know the hole is at an angle and no matter how much wire I feed through it doesn't seem to come out the other end. I made the error of pulling out the old wire prematurely.

I have tried to use a stiff bicycle brake cable to see if that will go but it doesn't and even went as far as trying to magnetise the brake through which also didn't work.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might be able to solve this problem without drilling a new hole completely.

The hole is less than 6mm in diameter.

Thanks

Try a wire coat hanger.

I did consider this and used the steel brake cable which is pretty rigid and I had it to hand. After that didn't work I didn't think a wire hanger or something similar would make much of a difference and I didn't have one immediately to hand to try. Is this an error on my part?

Thanks

can you actually see daylight through the hole or has something fallen in and blocked it?

I would think this is a cavity wall, so youre getting through one wall, but the wire or whatever is then hitting the edge of the next wall.

youll either need to drill out again or use something much stiffer than brake cable. Fence wire or wire coat hanger. Both are a good suggestion

can you actually see daylight through the hole or has something fallen in and blocked it?

I would think this is a cavity wall, so youre getting through one wall, but the wire or whatever is then hitting the edge of the next wall.

youll either need to drill out again or use something much stiffer than brake cable. Fence wire or wire coat hanger. Both are a good suggestion

I should have specified it is a cavity wall. I can't see daylight but the hole is drilled at an angle and not really ideal for light to travel through. I did stick a short drill bit in one end then held a magnet to it, in the hope it would attract the brake cable but that failed. Before pulling out the old wire I did drag it back and forth a few times to clear out any gunk that may have been there.

I'll see if I can find a wire hanger and try that.

Reply to Trouble threading Doorbell Wire through an existing hole in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net