Discuss Trouble with a contactor in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all
Bit of advice needed. Got called to a job with a bunch of lights not coming on the set up is a 5 way board controlled via a timeclock and double pole contactor also has a small fuse inside of enclosure which is plug in fused wire type if you look closely at picture any ideas what could be for maybe protect the coil.

The contactor has failed and is jammed hence reason lights not working ,
Now the problem the contactor in question has been discontinued looks ancient i enclose pictures.
I now have a up to date contactor to do the job, being my first time wiring from an old version im very confused on connections of old to new, again picture will explain.
Now i have a1 a2 12 top 34 bottom, would i be right in saying that sw live from my timeclock goes to a1 of contactor a2 being neutral and 1 supply in 2 load to 5 way board..
Any advice appreciated,, i know sounds basic but thought id ask. Also i enclose pic of new contactor Regards johnny

Attachments

• new contactor.pdf
    5 MB · Views: 46
  • old contactor.pdf
    6.4 MB · Views: 54
To copy the old set up: Put the two black neutrals - top right terminal on old contactor - into terminal 3 on the new one. The two reds of old bottom left go into 2 new. Single red top left old goes into 1 new.

The fuse is for the coil circuit of the contactor.

Post a picture of how you have wired the new contactor.

Last edited:
The red to bottom rear left hand coil on old goes into A1 new. The black to bottom rear right hand coil on old goes to A2. No need for a 'bridge' to new terminal 3.

The way I have described to you replicates with the new contactor the single pole switching arrangement of the old contactor.

Look - you need to have someone check what you have done because I thought you were simply confused by the new contactor's terminals - hence my advice - but I fear you are doing something that needs to be checked over by someone more familiar than you with time-switched lighting panels.

Last edited:

Reply to Trouble with a contactor in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net