Discuss trouble with newly installed MK c/u in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jenions

recently changed an old fuseboard to a new MK consumer unit with 2rcbo's and then RCD with 5 mcb's on it, now i IR all the circuits and all came out at <299Mohm but since day 1 the rcd has tripped whenever a high load is switched on? i tried the up and down ring and the fridge radial on 1 of the rcbo's (40A) and they worked fine but if i put them back on the rcd side they trip. anybody got any ideas? also the test button on the rcd isnt working, now this is the 2nd rcd ive tried as i changed the 1st 1 just incase that was faulty.

Did you test for an earth?

seems like a odd one, one of them " have to be there ones " haha

Good luck, try the above suggestion though

seen something similar once before, could be reverse polarity somewhere.

everytime customer used hoover rcd would trip. located mixed connections in thermostat which plumber had connected

have several times found where customer has replaced a socket face and has reversed N/E. as soon as a load is applied, the RCD will trip.

easier way would be to interconnect live and earth and do r1 + r2 test at board and locate fault like that. you'll soon find where its been connected wrong

it may sound obvious but make sure the neutrals for the circuits connected to the RCD are indeed connected to the RCD it sounds as if a neutral is in the wrong place in the CU.
Test button should work if L and N are connected correctly check polarity at the incoming main switch on the CU. If LN ok and test button not working take it back and exchange RCD as faulty.
What type of earthing system is it?
What was the Ze ?
Did you carry out a full PIR and schedule of tests before changing the CU?

Did you notice anything strange about those boards?

Like the main switch has to be levered into the off position but flicks on!!

I had a similar problem last night, it was the fish pond pump.

no rcd before hand jus old wylex fuse board, got a borrowed neutral but sorted that at the moment by putting them in same rcbo till i can run a new cable. i tried numerous high loads such as tv, fridge, 3kw heater even me sds drill but all tripped it. i got a low ze cant remember reading i wrote it down and its with all me gear on a job, its just thrown me as this is the second rcd ive tried which makes me think its something on the installation.

When you carried out IR test I assume all loads were disconnected. It seems that there may be a leakage problems on the loads rather than fixed wiring, the old CU would not detect earth leakage on loads. PAT testing of the appliances that trip the RCD might help. If you cannot isolate one load as the cause it may be a cumulative effect IE 15mA leakage on more than one load.

Reply to trouble with newly installed MK c/u in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net