Discuss Troublesome Customer in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

H

highspark

I have a customer who asked me to split labour and materials costs on quote which I did....I recieved a voicemail today saying she wants every single material itemised plus cost!!! Does she think I just sit round with all this free time? I've already done something I don't normally do because she asked me for a good quote as she has more work for me. That being splitting labour and materials costs on a written quote. I haven't even put a mark up on materials for her and I've knocked off 30% of my labour. Not my mates because he would work for anything less! Anyone dealt with one of these people before. I get the feeling shes the type to hold the money back because a socket is out by 0.0001 degrees!

Last edited by a moderator:
tell her you'll do it for £100, ( cash ), and will deduct that from her final bill if she accepts the quote.

saying she has more work for you is a try on normally, stick to your guns on the labour and say she can supply materials, give her a list and she can price it up, then any thing faulty or wrong is extras

Get a quote from wholesaler and pass it on, then they cannot argue. You could also ask wholesaler to alter quote to add a markup without her knowing ;)
Or if you have plenty of work and don't need job, price yourself out of it

a price is a price,asked if you can do anything with the price,stock answer should be.yes i can put it up..she's playing you off against others to save 50p,id walk away you will be fighting to be paid once the jobs complete..

walk on by! sounds like a hiding to nowhere
this job would be far easier if it wasn't for those darn customers! LOL

I am about to give the details of a LED fitting to my customer so she can buy 12 off. She'll get my price from my local supplier and I've told her not to go buying off the internet as if any are broken/wrong the cost to get them returned etc will be too much hassle.

Only happened once to me so i listed the items so they could get a proper match and listed my margin separately. I think when they realise the complexity of selecting the right parts it sort of puts them off. Was a commercial client though. Domestic, my beef is when they say they will buy the parts, which i let them do and they buy awful stuff thats a real pain to work with.

I don't mind customer buying gear, but I state what brand it must be. Ultimately, if it fails after 2 weeks we will be expected to put it right free of charge.

I would tell her that with the greatest respect you have provided a materials and labour breakdown and if she is not happy suggest she gets another quote we experianced a simular situation with a developer who's wife was acting as Q.S. COMPLETE NIGHTMARE.
every application questioned even though we were working from a schedule of rates

Ultimately, if it fails after 2 weeks we will be expected to put it right free of charge.

I don't. I had a customer ask me to replace two PIR 500W floods with another two which had been in her loft for some time (could have been several years). I fitted them and then received a call a couple of days later saying that they were both faulty. I offered to supply and fit two new ones at my standard rate but she didn't take me up on the offer.

If I supply and fit, I sort out any problems quickly and FoC. Anything supplied by the customer (and installed correctly) which goes faulty gets sorted as a new job. I now add a large margin to the price of any outdoor PIR to cover the time involved in a proportion of replacements.

Last edited:
see this kind of thing gets me......its not just about what stuff costs or how much the labour was/is......what we offer is a service......from initial consultation and survay of the job....through the first fix stage...second fix and completion...then handover....all done in an orderly and smooth manner so as to cause minimum disruption to the client and other trades.....what the hells up with some folk??.....

I have had this once, on a loft conversion that was being overseen by the customer. After giving them the quote, over a week later he phoned asking for an itemised quote.

I told him that i didn't have the time to list every switch or socket and as the builder/joiner had told him it sounded expensive, i suggested he had them do the work if it was that easy!

Even now, 6 months down the line he still hasn't had the work done, so it wasn't just me who was expensive then lol

I have had this once, on a loft conversion that was being overseen by the customer. After giving them the quote, over a week later he phoned asking for an itemised quote.

I told him that i didn't have the time to list every switch or socket and as the builder/joiner had told him it sounded expensive, i suggested he had them do the work if it was that easy!

Even now, 6 months down the line he still hasn't had the work done, so it wasn't just me who was expensive then lol
a time to negotiate and a time to walk...

All materials to be supplied by customer, to the agreed standard (specified manufacturers).
Any failed supplied equipment, will be replaced at the customers expense, at the installation companies normal hourly rates.

Should either:
A/ get rid of them
B/ get them to think again.

Reply to Troublesome Customer in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock