Discuss True story about building manager and Building control agent. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

sham

-
Reaction score
When I worked for my previous electrical company back in 2015 in which they were not certified to any scheme and they didn’t have any real college qualifications as in 16th or 17th edition, they did not have any electrical qualifications at all. However, they were the most recommended electricians in the area. My boss had some sort of electrical Obsessive-compulsive disorder, he could find out the latest regulations and building laws. He had friends who were scheme certified, phoning him asking him for advice. Sometimes he had to go to the job to show them the best practical way to get the job done, and he charged for his time.

We were on a job in Birmingham and it was an insurance job due to a fire at a restaurant. The owner called us to carry out the works as my boss was recommended. There was a building contractor there who was also employed. I do not know why the owner called us and not left that responsibility to the Main contractor in charge, as there were other contractors from other trades working for him or recommended by him.

As we were working, this main contractor approached us, stopped at a comfortable distant, started throwing his finger and said not too aggressively but quite assertive. ‘’Are you certified, are you NIC certified. So, me your certified’’. He was applying that of being NICEIC registered. My manager was not up to date about schemes, so he ignored him as though he did not exist, but I knew he was nervous. We carried on working anyway. He told my boss about the recent events over the phone when he sneaked off to the van, the next day our boss came with us to the job and not only the Main contractor was there but also a building control person appointed by Birmingham council, they seemed to know each other. They started on my boss, he replied that he was working under another electrician which of course was Registered to a scheme. They accused him of being fraudulent. They never tried to stop us working but demanded they meet this electrician my boss claimed he was working for. This registered Spark who is employed by my boss time to time to carry out certs, went out of his way to come to our job to talk to the building control person who was also accompanied with the building contractor. They sat him down, interrogated him for a while and lectured him, this lasted for over half an hour. In the end, we carried on working, we was not stopped and my boss got payed.

My Question is, after reading threads on this forum, it seems to me my manger could have told these big shots to get lost on the first day because being registered is not law. Is this right? Unless the insurance company demanded the work be carried out by a scheme member.

The Client or insurance company or whoever has every right to demand NICEIC registration if they wish. I'm not entirely clear whether that was their policy or not, however, from reading this.
Why NICEIC there are other equally money grabbing Schemes out there, or have the NICEIC completely brainwashed every client based company in Christendom?

Niceic have the monopoly here in Norn Iron, I’ve only heard of 1 other scheme member here and it was a Napit member who did an entertainments license for a bloke I know in the shooting fraternity.

I’ve been asked for it 3 times in almost a year, first 2 is no interest in the work being offered as it would be all over and it wouldn’t suit my family life.

The most recent was a guy looking to rent a flat through the Housing Executive and they had requested a NICEIC cert for the Smoke and Heat Alarms.

It doesn’t seem to matter at the moment as all sparks here, whether scheme or not, are flat out at the moment.

You will find that nearly all specs etc for commercial jobs will say the contractor shall be a member of the NICEIC Approved Contractors Scheme as it USED TO be known that AC's would carry out work to the highest standards and full compliance with the regs together with the rigorous checks by the NICEIC. I did post USED TO these days it's a bit of a misconception as a few bad apples are reluctantly removed from the roll. I think that the new schemes set up to police the compliance for self-certification eg NAPIT Stroma etc have now set up their own versions for commercial work but haven't managed to gain the gravitas that the NICEIC have built up over the years.

Niceic have the monopoly here in Norn Iron, I’ve only heard of 1 other scheme member here and it was a Napit member who did an entertainments license for a bloke I know in the shooting fraternity.

I’ve been asked for it 3 times in almost a year, first 2 is no interest in the work being offered as it would be all over and it wouldn’t suit my family life.

The most recent was a guy looking to rent a flat through the Housing Executive and they had requested a NICEIC cert for the Smoke and Heat Alarms.

It doesn’t seem to matter at the moment as all sparks here, whether scheme or not, are flat out at the moment.
Anything for Housing Exec will need NICEIC AC Status. And they are very slow payers.

We don't have 5 week wonders, short courses or any of that. I fear that will come, as we have a serious skills shortage in pretty much all trades.

I used to work with a guy who could say read the Novell training manual over a couple of days sit the exam and pass it 100%, when the server went t!ts up he could quote the manual to me but panicked when it came to fix it, I bet he's a millionaire now though.

Reply to True story about building manager and Building control agent. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net