Discuss Trunking cable capacity in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

Ducksy

Hey folks, im wiring in a shower circuit, i've decided on singles in PVC trunking (10mm line/neutral) (4mm CPC) I've worked out my cable factor in trunking as 87.2...................Problem is OSG shows smallest size trunking as 50mm X 38mm Thats way to big!!!!

Can anyone point me in the right direction for the trunking factors for smaller pvc trunking......?

Sorry if it sounds a dumb question but i normally use twin and earth clipped direct......sod fitting that in trunking.

Thanks.

If it was singles I would run a 6mm2 haha, I would like to run a 10mm2, but it would be a complete nightmare to connect into the pull cord switch, so 6mm2 would just have to do, but everyone to their own, in a T&E I am aware it is only 4mm2, another silly decision by the cable manufacturers.

If it was singles I would run a 6mm2 haha, I would like to run a 10mm2, but it would be a complete nightmare to connect into the pull cord switch, so 6mm2 would just have to do, but everyone to their own, in a T&E I am aware it is only 4mm2, another silly decision by the cable manufacturers.

I would love to use 6mm but the shower is a 10.5kw....in trunking 6mm CCC is only 38a far below the 44a needed :(

In over 25 years in the game i have seen numerous bits of trunking either plastic or metal absolutely rammed solid with cables.Plenty of times i have seen whole bottles of fairy liquid and planks of wood and hammers used to crush even more in,and bits of lid tied on with tie wraps because the buckles wont turn.And that is on new build prestige jobs not just lash ups.What is in the OSG quite often bears no resemblance to what happens on site

In over 25 years in the game i have seen numerous bits of trunking either plastic or metal absolutely rammed solid with cables.Plenty of times i have seen whole bottles of fairy liquid and planks of wood and hammers used to crush even more in,and bits of lid tied on with tie wraps because the buckles wont turn.And that is on new build prestige jobs not just lash ups.What is in the OSG quite often bears no resemblance to what happens on site

I don't think that could be called a ''Prestige Job'', if that's what's being allowed to happen!!

For prestige read lowest possible tender price to the contractor and maximum profit to the developer. I agree with Essexboy7, it happens all the time. I spent a week last month, in an International Banks flagship office sorting out some prestige work that looked just like that!

Jubilee line extension
kings cross Eurostar
westfield shopping centre white city
The shard
The Gherkin

To name but a few.And you dont get more prestige then those jobs

Its all down to greed and poor design.At the first sign of trouble the easiest thing to do is admit the containment is too small and rip it out and put bigger stuff in,but that means either the designer admitting they got it wrong or the subby swallowing the cost of labour to rip it out and replace it and neither of hose 2 things are ever going to happen

I suppose you dont have to worry about a fire as theres no room for any oxygen in there!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you're working it out wrong, you might even find 1mm could be sufficient.

Agreed mate, I'm totally bewildered by this thread! How long is the bloody run to need a 4mm CPC?!

How does running in conduit change CPC size anyway?

Jubilee line extension
kings cross Eurostar
westfield shopping centre white city
The shard
The Gherkin

To name but a few.And you dont get more prestige then those jobs

Its all down to greed and poor design.At the first sign of trouble the easiest thing to do is admit the containment is too small and rip it out and put bigger stuff in,but that means either the designer admitting they got it wrong or the subby swallowing the cost of labour to rip it out and replace it and neither of hose 2 things are ever going to happen

I suppose you dont have to worry about a fire as theres no room for any oxygen in there!!!!!!!

No bloody supervision on site more like, and an electrical contractor that isn't worth a ----!! Never been on a project yet, where it's not part of the electrical contactors responsibility to conform to the standards the specification is based on!! If the stipulated sizes of trunking or any other containment system is not adequate for the job, then it is down to the contractor to raise the issue!! A contractor working on these types of projects will, without doubt have a Quantity Surveyor as part of the team, who would be looking for just this sort of thing, to make ''Extras'' on, for both materials and man-hours!! It's where contractors can make serious money, and why the QS are worth their weight in gold on big projects!! So your explanation makes no sense at all contractually!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Trunking cable capacity in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock