Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Trying to break into commercial in the Business Related area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Andy3438

Andy3438 EF Member

Hi guys

I have been running my company for about 2 years now and going steady. We are an NICEIC Approved Contractor.

Most of the work has been domestic so far which I don't mind, however I'd like to get more commercial work.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get more commercial contracts? How do commercial jobs get advertised? Is it all just about who you know?

Any help or advice would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  2. SJD

SJD Trusted Advisor

At least for smaller jobs, I've found a number of times that I got the work because someone who worked there knew of me (e.g. done work in their own house, or for a relative, etc.). Of course this only works if you do a good job and leave very happy customers.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Andy3438

Andy3438 EF Member

Thanks. Yes that's pretty much how I get the majority of my work now, word of mouth. I've had a few commercial jobs through Rated People or MyBuilder, which is actually how I started out, but I resent having to pay to get the work so try to avoid using these sites. There's always people offering their services extremely cheap and customers don't seem to understand that you get what you pay for.

I was considering making flyers up offering good PAT, EICR and EM Lighting test prices and posting it to offices as a foot in the door but I'm not sure how effective it would actually be. Essentially it's just cold calling.

I guess there isn't going to be an easy fast track way of doing this lol.

4. SJD

SJD Trusted Advisor

As oft discussed on here, many companies have a low expectation of what they'd like to pay for these, maybe because they don't really care about the quality of testing, they just want to be able to say they've done it. The companies you might attract are possibly companies what want everything done on the cheap! Plus there is a danger you might land yourself with 1000's of items to PAT test at just pence per item.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Andy3438

Andy3438 EF Member

Good point yeah