Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Trying to date wires - Red, White and Blue in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Gavin Edmonds

Gavin Edmonds Guest

Really struggling to find any info on this in google, had a peak under the floor at the existing wiring in my place which was made c1920's to see what state the wiring is in. The cables in the socket ring circuit are somewhere around 5mm 3 core silver coloured wire in flat outer sheath with red, white and blue wire insulation. Anybody have an idea when this would date from?

2. Knobhead

Knobhead Guest

Where are you?

3. Gavin Edmonds

Gavin Edmonds Guest

Surrey, UK.

4. malcolmsanford

malcolmsanford Trusted Advisor

Red White and Blue were phase colours dating back to the 60's. I think they changed to Red Yellow Blue in the 14th or may have been the last edition of the 13th.

I remember a lot of the pit supplies were Red White and Blue and I started in the early 70s.

5. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Out of interest why are you trying to date your cables?

6. tony mc

tony mc Electrician's Arms

7. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    i'd be more concerned about the type of insulation. is it rubber?

8. Gavin Edmonds

Gavin Edmonds Guest

It's PCV I think, not too dissimilar to modern cables.

9. Gavin Edmonds

Gavin Edmonds Guest

If they are not too old then leave them be, if too old then get them replaced. I'm interested to know either way. The wiring in the newer part of the house (various dates after WW2) are red/ black so isn't that old. There are traces of black rubber (sticky to the touch) wires about, but luckily the ones I have found are not active anymore.

Actually you've just reminded me of the other thing that I was wondering how old it is, a lot of the light switch boxes in the solid walls are not the right size for new switches, they are slightly too small W and L, with the screws about 10mm too close together.

10. Gavin Edmonds

Gavin Edmonds Guest

Crikey that is a long while ago. Upon seeing these would the usual step be to swap the old wires out? Or are these deemed good for another few decades?

11. telectrix

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    your first step is to do a full IR test and continuity on the cables. if they give good readings and the ends at the accessories are in good condition, then no need to replace them.

12. malcolmsanford

Cheeky sod!!!!!!!

Seriously just do an IR test on the cables and see what you get. Most PVC cables that old ....................are fine, and providing you don't get a touch of the dreaded "green goo" and the IR results are fine, they out live us old.uns

13. telectrix

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    maybe you installed 'em malc.

• Like Like x 1
  14. SPARTYKUS

SPARTYKUS Trusted Advisor

Not got a life span, PVC cable, as far as I know. No one knows yet? Unlike the rubber stuff. More likely to be eaten by rodents or trashed by a human than degraded.

15. malcolmsanford

Wan't I your apprentice then ???

• Like Like x 1