Discuss Trying to date wires - Red, White and Blue in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

Gavin Edmonds

Really struggling to find any info on this in google, had a peak under the floor at the existing wiring in my place which was made c1920's to see what state the wiring is in. The cables in the socket ring circuit are somewhere around 5mm 3 core silver coloured wire in flat outer sheath with red, white and blue wire insulation. Anybody have an idea when this would date from?

Red White and Blue were phase colours dating back to the 60's. I think they changed to Red Yellow Blue in the 14th or may have been the last edition of the 13th.

I remember a lot of the pit supplies were Red White and Blue and I started in the early 70s.

i'd be more concerned about the type of insulation. is it rubber?

Out of interest why are you trying to date your cables?

If they are not too old then leave them be, if too old then get them replaced. I'm interested to know either way. The wiring in the newer part of the house (various dates after WW2) are red/ black so isn't that old. There are traces of black rubber (sticky to the touch) wires about, but luckily the ones I have found are not active anymore.

Actually you've just reminded me of the other thing that I was wondering how old it is, a lot of the light switch boxes in the solid walls are not the right size for new switches, they are slightly too small W and L, with the screws about 10mm too close together.

Red White and Blue were phase colours dating back to the 60's. I think they changed to Red Yellow Blue in the 14th or may have been the last edition of the 13th.

I remember a lot of the pit supplies were Red White and Blue and I started in the early 70s.

Crikey that is a long while ago. Upon seeing these would the usual step be to swap the old wires out? Or are these deemed good for another few decades?

your first step is to do a full IR test and continuity on the cables. if they give good readings and the ends at the accessories are in good condition, then no need to replace them.

Crikey that is a long while ago. Upon seeing these would the usual step be to swap the old wires out? Or are these deemed good for another few decades?

Cheeky sod!!!!!!!

Seriously just do an IR test on the cables and see what you get. Most PVC cables that old ....................are fine, and providing you don't get a touch of the dreaded "green goo" and the IR results are fine, they out live us old.uns

Not got a life span, PVC cable, as far as I know. No one knows yet? Unlike the rubber stuff. More likely to be eaten by rodents or trashed by a human than degraded.

Never ceases to amaze me, the amount of new electricians that think because the cores are coloured Red and Black/Red, Yellow, Blue, ...there has to be something wrong with them or they are too old to be left in service. A failed IR test is generally the only reason to replace these PVC insulated and sheathed cables (green goo to a point, being the exception)!!

Reply to Trying to date wires - Red, White and Blue in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock