Discuss Trying to help my hubby in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Buba

hi everyone

My hubby is an electrician with 15+ years experience however he struggles with having confidence in pricing jobs and worries that he he asking for too much, I don't think he charges enough and he often lets people take advantage of his good nature, he is part p registered, we live in Dorset in the Bournemouth area, he has been asked to quote for an occupied rewire of a 4 bed bungalow with a loft conversion and has worked it out on a price per point, there are 107 points (lights, switches, sockets etc) in the job the quote includes a new consumer unit, testing and cert, can I ask what other electricians would charge per point for this type of work? Please message me privately if you don't want to say on here, I'd really appreciate some help! Thanks

an average price per point would be £45 - £55. shower and cooker points would be more. then add £300 ish for the CU. that would put your total @ around £5000 - £6000. has he costed light switches as a point?

Anyone else with any thoughts? He needs to send the quote today so I would be grateful for anyone elses input, thank you!

I don't think you'll get much variation on my advice. get him to go in at £5K if he really needs the job. bearin mind that he will need to reinstate floors etc. and keep the bulk of the existing installation on each night. I always quote for 30% up front. 30% on comletion of 1st fix. ( or half way through if doing both 1st and 2nd fix together to complete areas in stages ). and balance on completion and commissioning.

hi everyone

My hubby is an electrician with 15+ years experience however he struggles with having confidence in pricing jobs and worries that he he asking for too much, I don't think he charges enough and he often lets people take advantage of his good nature, he is part p registered, we live in Dorset in the Bournemouth area, he has been asked to quote for an occupied rewire of a 4 bed bungalow with a loft conversion and has worked it out on a price per point, there are 107 points (lights, switches, sockets etc) in the job the quote includes a new consumer unit, testing and cert, can I ask what other electricians would charge per point for this type of work? Please message me privately if you don't want to say on here, I'd really appreciate some help! Thanks

What did your estimate come to?

thanks all, I don't want to share the quote here but i'm happy to send it in a private message if anyone wants to give their opinion, thanks

Was it higher or lower?
bruce.jpg

thanks all, I don't want to share the quote here but i'm happy to send it in a private message if anyone wants to give their opinion, thanks
i'd like to know (pm).

T'was thinking of relocating to Bournemouth/Poole myself. Told by landlord of a rental property we were viewing, that there was fair amount of work for sparks in the area, because a lot of properties are refurbished as holiday lets/student lets and old craggy gits (like myself) moving down there to die, sorry retire. But I suppose like anything, where there's lots of work, there's lots of trades. :)

Pricing can differ so much,depending on the area, outer London, inner London etc.
Yep and where we live is a desirable area, house prices are high here, being by the sea and not too far from London, it's all relative to the cost of living, I think that's why pricing is so tricky, what we might think is reasonable someone else might think is expensive, at the end of the day our outgoings are high because we live in an expensive area so we have to earn enough to cover our outgoings

Pricing can differ so much,depending on the area, outer London, inner London etc.
Yep and where we live is a desirable area, house prices are high here, being by the sea and not too far from London, it's all relative to the cost of living, I think that's why pricing is so tricky, what we might think is reasonable someone else might think is expensive, at the end of the day our outgoings are high because we live in an expensive area so we have to earn enough to cover our outgoings

Reply to Trying to help my hubby in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net