Discuss Trying to setup 21 Computer Fans each rated 12 Volts, is this correct setup? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

E

Electronic

Hi all,

I’m completely new to any kind of electrical work and would be grateful if you guys could confirm my setup to be correct.

I’ll try to be as clear as I can:

I have 220V coming from my Wall Socket, so I assume I have 220V to use.

What I’d like to do is, use the power coming from the wall socket to power 21 Computer fans that are all rated at 12 Volts each (total 252 Volts).

But I want to under power them so they run slower, therefore 220 Volts would be enough since all the fans in total can take up to 252 Volts (it leaves me with 32 Volts of head room)

I’ll be soldering everything in a Parallel Circuit and will add a 12 Volt Current Limiting Resistor in Series before each fan, onto each Parallel Line (so in total I’ll also have 21 resistors in the circuit). I have 12 Volt Fans, so I assumed a 12 Volt Resistor is the correct resistor for each parallel line.

Finally, between the Wall Socket and the 21 Resistors & 21 Fans, I’m going to add a Light Dimmer Switch so that I can manually control how fast & slow the fans will be running on the fly.

For Setup, I plan to attach a Plug onto one end of a 2.5mm Twin Earth Cable and then strip the other end of the cable all the way so that the wires are fully exposed into Positive & Negative, then proceed to make all the soldering connections in Parallel with the Resistors in series, followed by covering up the exposed wires with Electrical Tape when I’m finished.

Do I need to buy a specific Light Dimming Switch?
Is this setup correct?

I've drawn a diagram, but the forum won't let me upload it because the file size is too big. (1.65mb)

Thanks all!

sounds a complete bodge-up to me. first you'd need to wire the fans in series, not parallel. better to source a 12V PSU that can cope with the fans' total current demand. add a thyristor speed control.

Hi all,

I’m completely new to any kind of electrical work and would be grateful if you guys could confirm my setup to be correct.

I’ll try to be as clear as I can:

What I’d like to do is, use the power coming from the wall socket to power 21 Computer fans that are all rated at 12 Volts each (total 252 Volts).

But I want to under power them so they run slower, therefore 220 Volts would be enough since all the fans in total can take up to 252 Volts (it leaves me with 32 Volts of head room)

I’ll be soldering everything in a Parallel Circuit and will add a 12 Volt Current Limiting Resistor in Series before each fan, onto each Parallel Line (so in total I’ll also have 21 resistors in the circuit). I have 12 Volt Fans, so I assumed a 12 Volt Resistor is the correct resistor for each parallel line.

Finally, between the Wall Socket and the 21 Resistors & 21 Fans, I’m going to add a Light Dimmer Switch so that I can manually control how fast & slow the fans will be running on the fly.

For Setup, I plan to attach a Plug onto one end of a 2.5mm Twin Earth Cable and then strip the other end of the cable all the way so that the wires are fully exposed into Positive & Negative, then proceed to make all the soldering connections in Parallel with the Resistors in series, followed by covering up the exposed wires with Electrical Tape when I’m finished.

Is this setup correct?

I've drawn a diagram, but the forum won't let me upload it because the file size is too big. (1.65mb)

Thanks all!

DON'T DO IT !

You've already admitted that you have no electrical experience. What you've described is dangerous and unlikely to work. Any wiring at mains voltage should be done by someone who is competent to ensure safety.

For a start, the 12V computer fans will probably be 12V DC. The mains supply is AC, so the fans won't work properly.

Edit: If this isn't a wind-up, I'll be amazed.

DON'T DO IT !

You've already admitted that you have no electrical experience. What you've described is dangerous and unlikely to work. Any wiring at mains voltage should be done by someone who is competent to ensure safety.

For a start, the 12V computer fans will probably be 12V DC. The mains supply is AC, so the fans won't work properly.
they'll make a decent BANG! what more could you expect?

I'm not really sure where to start but here we go,

What I’d like to do is, use the power coming from the wall socket to power 21 Computer fans that are all rated at 12 Volts each (total 252 Volts)............

.................I’ll be soldering everything in a Parallel Circuit and will add a 12 Volt Current Limiting Resistor in Series before each fan, onto each Parallel Line (so in total I’ll also have 21 resistors in the circuit). I have 12 Volt Fans, so I assumed a 12 Volt Resistor is the correct resistor for each parallel line.
If you wire multiple fans in parallel and connect power they'll each have 230VAC across them. Putting a resistor in series with each fan will mean that some of the voltage will be across the fan and some will be across the resistor. The problems will be numerous but the most important, as already stated, you'll be supplying DC fans with AC voltage.

Apart from the problem already mentioned, even if these fans could run on AC...which they can't...... adding a dimmer may allow some speed control but they'll start running very hot.

No comment.

Is this setup correct?
No it's not correct. Abandon this plan entirely. Don't buy a dimmer, it's just a waste.

Thanks all!
No diagram necessary, I've got a vivid imagination.

Okay, you've not told us what on earth your reason is for wanting to have 21 computer fans running with a speed controller but here's an idea. Go find yourself an old microwave with a centrifugal blower and remove it, preferably one that looks like this;

Trying to setup 21 Computer Fans each rated 12 Volts, is this correct setup? 350 - EletriciansForums.net

It's a 230volt device so no resistors required and they have a surprisingly high air output so one or maybe two of them will suffice. You could run them using a dimmer but I wouldn't reduce the speed less than about 70% of full speed if I were you. The motor will become very inefficient beyond that point and they also need a good air volume flowing through them to cool the motor.

Please take great care when working with 230v power. Never work live, always connect an earth to every individual component and always make sure the circuit you're plugged into is protected by an RCD.

The op will not be replying to any posts due to lack of life

If you go back to basics with the OP, he is basically saying I'm going to plug a 12v DC fan in to a 230v AC supply.

no, he's going to plug 21 12V fans into a 230V supply fans. 21 x the fun.

Well as you have probably establshed by now that idea will not work!
Why in hells name do you need 21 fans!?!? I have a high powered gaming rig and a total of 5 fans keeps that cool!

What you need to do is break into one of the 12v psu supplys inside the computer and wire the fans in paralel off that.
However you need to be sure the PSU can produce enough juice to power the fans as well as the components in the PC.

To do that you need to take the wattage of every component and fan, add them all together and make sure the PSU comes out larger.

As for the speed control you can wire a speed controller into the circuit.

Well the OP hasn't returned, I'd love to know the application, ... something like a home-made "air-cooled grow light system", for example?

Well the OP hasn't returned, I'd love to know the application, ... something like a home-made "air-cooled grow light system", for example?

Must admit that had crossed my mind also!!

...With correct positioning of those fans,and a loose fitting boiler suit,a rudimentary free-fall training chamber can be constructed...but the bowls of crisps have to be moved...:joker:

...With correct positioning of those fans,and a loose fitting boiler suit,a rudimentary free-fall training chamber can be constructed...but the bowls of crisps have to be moved...:joker:

Great idea. or he could strap the 21 fans to his body, bluetooth the power to them and make himself into a flying super hero.

Its a pity the OP didn't get back to us...

he's too busy for the likes of us. he's got his own fan club.

I fear we may need to look in the obituaries for the OP's area & have a look to see if he turned the BIG BANG THEORY into REALITY

Reply to Trying to setup 21 Computer Fans each rated 12 Volts, is this correct setup? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock