Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss TT Earth system tester in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Prytaneion

Prytaneion EF Member

I have to install a TT Earth Rod on a rural new installation. Can some kind sparky please point me in the direct of a hire company that will hire out a tester? My old megger 1502 won't do this and as there is no power on site at the moment, I need a battery powered tester for Ze.

2. essex

essex Forum Mentor

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. rolyberkin

rolyberkin Electrician's Arms

Is there not another local sparky who will tip out to do it for you for a few beer tokens? I can be bought for a couple of decent bottles of red but not as far away as Bognor!:)

4. Fitzy

Fitzy Newly Qualified Sparky

Business Name:
    DF Electrical Services
    The kewtech KT65 does earth rod testing, check if any of your mates have one of these MFT.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Prytaneion

Prytaneion EF Member

I'll ask around but since forced retirement through ill health, I've lost touch with a lot of my mates in any case. the KT65 is a bit up market for them!!

6. Prytaneion

Prytaneion EF Member

Hi Roly - The job is a rural site near Bath so travel is a problem from here. I might just bite the bullet and hit ebay... :)

7. Flanders

Flanders Regular EF Member

Just to confirm you will nead an Ra tester not a ze tester as there is no Ze on a TT system ☺

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Prytaneion

Prytaneion EF Member

Hi Flanders (Whoo-Hoo) - Ra it is - my mistake... :0)

• Like Like x 1
  9. essex

essex Forum Mentor

Yes there is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. rolyberkin

rolyberkin Electrician's Arms

I had a similar job and bought a megger det3tc from ebay a while back and used it once! However I have got another job coming up in 2019 where I will use it again!

11. Prytaneion

Prytaneion EF Member

Hi Roly, yes mate, I have a similar problem but today I have found a local sparks who will test the earth rod (s) actually there are two 2M rods - for fifty quid so I'll probably go with this option. TT systems are a pain in the butt, however, because they are what they are, it's imperative to get it right. Thanks for the chat though...

12. Flanders

I have always thought Ze was the external earth loop resistance back to the transformer if there is no supply earth how do you get a Ze reading , or am I missing something ?

13. Prytaneion

Prytaneion EF Member

The loop back to the star point on the transformer is through an earthing rod or rods. About 2 metres worth of copper beaten into the ground or tape etc.
    upload_2018-11-16_14-44-23.jpeg

upload_2018-11-16_14-43-45.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  14. Prytaneion

Prytaneion EF Member

15. Flanders

Thanks very much now it make sense .