Discuss TT rod installation guidance. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Andy78

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Can anyone link me to any official guidance on the installation methods for earth rods in a domestic TT system.
Basically I am looking for something which would state that bashing a single skinny rod into the ground under the floorboards in a domestic property is not a suitable method of installation.

Not having any luck with my own searches so far.

Can anyone link me to any official guidance on the installation methods for earth rods in a domestic TT system.
Basically I am looking for something which would state that bashing a single skinny rod into the ground under the floorboards in a domestic property is not a suitable method of installation.

Theres not a one size fits all, the main issue with a short electrode is stabilty, the diameter of the earth rod wont make a significant differance to the overall Ra. You could argue that indoors the firts meter of the rod wont be subject to seasonal variation.

Cheers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYb2jqD7cH4

I can sense Eng54 typing as we speak :) Daz

Theres not a one size fits all, the main issue with a short electrode is stabilty, the diameter of the earth rod wont make a significant differance to the overall Ra. You could argue that indoors the firts meter of the rod wont be subject to seasonal variation.

Cheers

All very true, but I was of the understanding that the rubble strewn backfill round foundations was to be avoided, especially with short rods.

All very true, but I was of the understanding that the rubble strewn backfill round foundations was to be avoided, especially with short rods.

Very true, you are the only one who can decide if the installation is suitable. If a rod is installed in rubble will it be a stable Ra, id expect a very poor reading.

Cheers

Quick impression, see who can guess it:

'Anyone who believes those 'twigs' are acceptable is a complete moron!!! Lol !!! '

Very true, you are the only one who can decide if the installation is suitable. if a rod is installed in rubble will its be a stable Ra, id expect a very poor reading.

Cheers

The reading is around 40 Ohms right now, but this area has a very high water table and is sodden right now. There is certainly evidence of rubble within the ground under the floor.

The reading is around 40 Ohms right now, but this area has a very high water table and is sodden right now. There is certainly evidence of rubble within the ground under the floor.

Well if you are concerned with the installation, suggest to the custommer the addaition of a further electode, if the inly option is internal i would bore a 100mm hole or dig, then you can see the ground conditions, from there if all is okay, drive in as deep as you can and backfill with marconite.

Cheers

I'd say that this is fine for now but that you should arrange to re-visit later in the year after it's been dry for a while. Then re-test and make a final judgement.

I probably should have mentioned that a valid TN-S connection has been disconnected in favour of this rod. I didn't mention this as it's part of a huge can of worms concerning a recent CU swap by another contractor that I'm currently helping a customer with, and didn't want the thread to get bogged down in other stuff.

I was really just after any guidance on accepted standards of rod installation to add to my ammo box.

Last edited:

I'd avoid internal placement of earth rods etc, always better to be positioned outside property boundaries....

If rubble is a problem excavate say a half metre or so, and then drive your earth rod in. No matter what anyone tells otherwise, ''Never'' use the the non extendable thin 3/8'' short twigs they are the next best thing to bloody worthless as an earth electrode!!

If the area has a high water table and the soil type is good, then a very decent and stable Ra value can generally be obtained with a little effort and time put into the installation...

You have probably taken this into account andy,still I will post for the benefit of a.n.other

I would not usually consider dropping in a rod internally,it may cause damp issues by piercing any damp proof membrane

I probably should have mentioned that a valid TN-S connection has been disconnected in favour of this rod. I didn't mention this as it's part of a huge can of worms concerning a CU swap that I'm currently helping a customer with, and didn't want the thread to get bogged down in other stuff.

I was really just after any guidance on accepted standards of rod installation to add to my ammo box.

Too keep it simple. Firtsly we need stability, to know what a stable reading is you need to know the ground resistivity. Then we need to consider seasonal variation and to what depth these varaition take effect. Then we need to decide what level of Ra we require. So with in depth ground resisivity measuremnts we can map the ground at varying depths and area. Then armed with this knowledge we can aply a equation or use software to calculate approximately how many and and at what depth the rods need to be driven.

Second option is to just bang a coupled rod in and hope for the best.

Cheers

Too keep it simple. Firtsly we need stability, to know what a stable reading is you need to know the ground resistivity. Then we need to consider seasonal variation and to what depth these varaition take effect. Then we need to decide what level of Ra we require. So with in depth ground resisivity measuremnts we can map the ground at varying depths and area. Then armed with this knowledge we can aply a equation or use software to calculate approximately how many and and at what depth the rods need to be driven.

Second option is to just bang a coupled rod in and hope for the best.

Cheers

Option 3 has been taken in this case. Bang an uncoupled rod in and hope for the best.

I probably should have mentioned that a valid TN-S connection has been disconnected in favour of this rod. I didn't mention this as it's part of a huge can of worms concerning a CU swap that I'm currently helping a customer with, and didn't want the thread to get bogged down in other stuff.

You don't need anymore ammo, you'd have to be a complete raving nutter to ditch a working and compiling TN-S earthing system with a sub 1 ohm Ze, for a TT system with an Ra of 40 ohms that's stability may or may not be in question!!!

Reply to TT rod installation guidance. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock