Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss TT System (411.5.1 - 18th) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Tags:
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. essex

essex Electrician's Arms

So the following has been added to this Regulation:

'The neutral point or midpoint of the power supply system shall be earthed. If a neutral point or midpoint is not available or not accessible, a line conductor shall be earthed.'

I am assuming that in all TT earthing arrangements moving forward we will now need to link in with the neutral?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Strima

Strima Electrician's Arms

I can see that going horribly pearshaped...

I had a quick discussion about this with my NIC AE when we had our annual coffee morning, assessment, earlier in the year. It looks like we're going to PME the whole network for the DNOs at the customers cost...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Risteard

Risteard Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Walsh Electrical Services
    I haven't bothered pulling the book out to look but presumably the neutral point has been Earthed at the star point of the transformer so I don't see that it requires any different action to that now.

4. essex

essex Electrician's Arms

But that is outside the scope of 7671 so would not apply.

5. Risteard

Risteard Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Walsh Electrical Services
    It's outside the scope of BS7671 but that doesn't mean that it doesn't apply for a public fed TT system. You are misinterpreting the requirement.

6. essex

essex Electrician's Arms

Please help me interpret.

7. Vortigern

Vortigern Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    Soooo...bang a spike in and connect it to live in the house now then?:oncomingpolice::oncomingtaxi::fireengine:

8. spinlondon

spinlondon Trusted Advisor

This is for generators, to create a neutral.

9. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    It does seem strange to place that sentence with its instructing power of "shall" and yet without any talk of which power supply system. The same words appear in the TN system as 411.4.2 .

• Agree Agree x 1