Discuss TT system with No RCD in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Been out to replace an oven on an installation which pre dates the need for RCD's so only has MCB's, the earthing arrangement is TT. As I am only changing the oven this need not be RCD protected but is the maximum Ze still 200ohms?

The maximum Ze allowed is one that will allow any device installed with the intention to provide fault protection, to operate.
With a 30mA RCD, that would be 1667 ohms.

Understood, however this installation does not have an RCD and the work I am carrying out, ie replacing a cooker, does not require an RCD. I need to know the max Ze for a TT system without an RCD.

Thanks

Understood, however this installation does not have an RCD and the work I am carrying out, ie replacing a cooker, does not require an RCD. I need to know the max Ze for a TT system without an RCD.

Thanks

You need to calculate it as it will depend entirely on the specifics of the installation. But if you take the circuit with the lowest maximum permitted Zs and subtract the R1+R2 of that circuit from it then it will give you what is theoretically the maximum Ze that will comply.

As a general rule of thumb the Ze will need to be stable below 1 ohm to allow the use of mcbs as fault protection.

The 200ohms figure you mentioned in your op is a 'suggested value' above which Ra may not be stable, it is not the maximum permitted for an earth electrode. The maximum acceptable value is one which is reliably stable and fulfills the requirements of the protective measures put in place and will vary depending on each installation and he soil conditions around it.

Thanks Dave. That makes sense. I have never seen a TT Ze lower than around 20ohms so am I to assume the install was incorrect when it was fitted approx 30 years ago?

No you are not to assume anything, you test and confirm that an installation is safe, preferably before you start to work on it otherwise the customer could reasonably refuse to pay for extra work you need to do to carry out your job safely if you have not made them aware of the costs before you start.
I certainly would not assume that a 30 year old earth electrode is still as good as the day it was fitted, or even if it was tested at the time. At that age a trip of some description, either VOELCB or ELCB, would have been required to be fitted by the regs so if it is not present it would suggest that the regs were not adhered to in the first place

Dilema here, is that you are being asked to install an item of equipment to a circuit with no fault protection.
If you consider this work to be within the scope of BS7671, then you will have to provide fault protection.

I certainly would not assume that a 30 year old earth electrode is still as good as the day it was fitted, or even if it was tested at the time.

The above was not my assumption, the below was:

At that age a trip of some description, either VOELCB or ELCB, would have been required to be fitted by the regs so if it is not present it would suggest that the regs were not adhered to in the first place

Hum... Replacing an oven. Presumably just disconnecting the old one from the cable and fitting the new one.

i would do a mwc, pointing out the lack of RCD protection and submit it with my invoice.

There is no way that you can claim that your work is safe if ADS cannot operate under earth fault conditions.

It really cannot be ignored.

That's what the certificate indicates though. You are certifying that it complies with BS 7671 (and is safe).

I have to disagree with you on this. The very should specifically say that the circuit does NOT comply.

It says clearly that "I certify... that the electrical installation work is in accordance with BS 7671:2008 as amended to 2015".

"except as detailed in Part 1 above"

And in part 1 you add the details. There is the section in Part 2 "comments".

At the end of the day what should a prefessional do?

1. Issue a MWC with notes in Part 1 and Part 2

or

2. Not issue a certificate?

I would rather do 1 above!

If you are saying that ALL certificates state 100% compliance with the regs we better all give up now. Issuing a MWC with a note and comment about a potential fault is the better course of action IMHO.

Just asking for money and ignoring the issue makes us no better than bob from down the pub!

At the end of the day what should a prefessional do?

1. Issue a MWC with notes in Part 1 and Part 2

or

2. Not issue a certificate?

The correct answer is that you should remove the dangerous non-compliance before carrying out the work and certifying it. What you are connecting up is wholly reliant on the fault protection being present for safety, so it cannot be ignored. Likewise we are required to ensure that earthing and bonding are satisfactory before carrying out works.

The correct answer is that you should remove the dangerous non-compliance before carrying out the work and certifying it. What you are connecting up is wholly reliant on the fault protection being present for safety, so it cannot be ignored. Likewise we are required to ensure that earthing and bonding are satisfactory before carrying out works.

I refer you to 1 above. If the people have had a cooker connected in such away for 35 years, they may not accept your view that its not safe and needs improving.

The regs and rules are MAD IMHO.

So you would leave them without a cooker?

Then bob from the pub connects the cooker?

I will continue doing what I do....... a MWC, stating that the circuit doesn't comply is my record of flagging it to the customer...

Reply to TT system with No RCD in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock