Discuss TT testing question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, Doing 2395 revision and doing a small temp builders supply therefore TT . Installed 2 x 13a sockets protected by 16amp breaker and 30ma RCD.
Installed 1 x earth rod immediately by the meter / con-unit position. No other circuits. No additional main equipotential bonding as nothing there.
My Ra (Ze) reading was 10 ohms using an ELI tester method 3 BGB. I'm under the impression that this reading is OK as under 21 ohms but I'm unable to find this figure in writing. But reading other threads I see figures of 200 ohms. The figure of MAX 1667 ohms baffles me for 30ma RCD. RaIn<50v. Clarification required please. Apologies in advance as I'm sure this subject has been flogged to death on here.

200ohms is the max. allowable result on a TT, but you should be aiming to get it as low as possible. 10ohms is pretty good for a starter! Don't forget that that figure would likely come down over time on a permanent install, as the dirt settles and compacts around the rod. The max figure of 1667 for an RCD illustrates why RCDs are so essential on TT installs, as you'd be hard pushed to meet disconnection times if using breakers or fuses alone. Just don't fall into the trap of thinking that RCDs are quick fixes in TN installs!

200ohms is the max. allowable result on a TT, but you should be aiming to get it as low as possible. 10ohms is pretty good for a starter! Don't forget that that figure would likely come down over time on a permanent install, as the dirt settles and compacts around the rod. The max figure of 1667 for an RCD illustrates why RCDs are so essential on TT installs, as you'd be hard pushed to meet disconnection times if using breakers or fuses alone. Just don't fall into the trap of thinking that RCDs are quick fixes in TN installs!
Thanks for that........does this fIgure of 21 ohms exist? i can remember the guy teaching us saying 21ohms as he referred to the 21 year old age joke, thats how I remember it.

yr. welcome!. at least you ain't drilled a gas pipe.LOL.

10 ohms is bloody good, what did you do, chuck a bucket of water on it? lol
Well i was surprised myself.....It's the first TT that I've done under BS7671. The earth rod went in easily using lump hammer, only took a few mins! I was half expecting it to take a while to get it knocked in! I used to put rods in many many years ago into chalk, took forever in those days! i've been out of contracting for 16 yrs.

Well i was surprised myself.....It's the first TT that I've done under BS7671. The earth rod went in easily using lump hammer, only took a few mins! I was half expecting it to take a while to get it knocked in! I used to put rods in many many years ago into chalk, took forever in those days! i've been out of contracting for 16 yrs.
We get all sorts here.. sand, heavy clay in some areas. Ok to knock in and never need much over 50mm CSA rods apart from in sand. You've been away quite a while, I keep thinking about it but that's as far as it gets!

Reply to TT testing question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock