Discuss TT Ze reading- loop high or loop no trip? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

The TT is an offshoot of a PME system. The 6mm T+E supply is on 32A RCBO at the main CU and earthed to the MET.

I've installed a mini DB also Rcd protected but earthed it to rods. Obviously when I test high current (at the mini DB) it takes out the RCBO but gives the value 27.1. On loop no trip I get the very high value of 563.

Why is the supply to the mini DB on an rcbo surely you have lost discrimination does it require this additional rcd protection.

The TT is an offshoot of a PME system. The 6mm T+E supply is on 32A RCBO at the main CU and earthed to the MET.

I've installed a mini DB also Rcd protected but earthed it to rods. Obviously when I test high current (at the mini DB) it takes out the RCBO but gives the value 27.1. On loop no trip I get the very high value of 563.

What exactly are you measuring here, the Zs of the distribution circuit or the Zdb of the sub-DB?
what is the Ra of the earth electrodes?

Hi current testing should always be used for EFLI tests, except where this is made unfeasable by the presence of an RCD when a no-trip test might be used as an alternative.

Hi current testing should be your default method,

Christ!!! o_O

For a moment then I thought Dave had started the sentence by saying 'Hi' to the OP. I actually stopped eating my breakfast!

Is this 6mm T&E within the 50mm of wall surface to the mini DB.

Installing a up front RCBO means that you have lost discrimination in the 2 RCDS and it is pointless having an RCD in the mini DB as the supply circuit is RCD protected.

you would be better installing the twin and earth surface or installing an earthed metallic sheathed cable this then does away with the RCBO and just have a breaker.

This then does away with the RCD Discrimination Problem. You don't necessary have discrimination between the breakers but its a far better solution.

If you still want to use the upfront RCBO then I would suggest using a normal breaker as a temp measure to supply the mini board then disconnect the earth rod and test between that and the supply Phase using the HIGH setting on the tester. This then gives you the Ze of the mini DB (which is the Ra resistance as that is the means of earthing.

Then reconnect the supply to the RCBO and test between the earth of the twin and earth and the Phase this then gives you the Zs of the supply circuit which is supplied off of the PME supply.

using the low test always gives you a higher worse reading as its using a softer test so not to trip any RCD but as stated above a Ze measurement should be taken using the high setting with no RCDs in line.

The introduction of the mini DB was to deal with the issue outlined in this thread

Exterior socket on PME system - http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/threads/exterior-socket-on-pme-system.121435/

Under normal conditions there will be no discrimination that is correct but I was dealing with the issue of exporting PME.

So in the event of loss of PEN, the mini DB is earthed via rods TT. In that case during a fault I'd expect the mini DB to trip but not necessarily the RCBO at the main board.

It's pot luck which one of the RCDs trips when they are in series.

Why have you used T&E? The thread you have linked to says that the socket is to be used for events, so you are surely considering the requirements of BS7909? I'm thinking specifically of the circuit feeding the socket having a CPC of equal CSA to the line conductor and of putting the RCD in the same location as the socket.

Reply to TT Ze reading- loop high or loop no trip? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock