Discuss tube installation problem with diagram in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm putting in two new tube's into my garage however one of the them was removed a long time ago but now I have replaced it. The garage has two switches, one on the LHS of the internal door and one on the LHS as you walk in to the garage. Both switches should operate both tubes. I've drawn an image of my setup in paint, hope it makes it clearer. The problem I have at the moment is not being be able to get everything working correctly. I have succeeded in keeping the furthest tube light nearest the garage door on permanently but nothing else. I can't figure out the correct configuration. Especially with the first tube nearest the internal door which has four cables coming into it so four black/neutral, four red/live and earth. Seems from the setup a different type of wire exists between the two switches which has red/blue/yellow wires. As per the diagram the yellow wires attach to the common terminals in both switches. It would seem that the power comes into switch one which is where the incoming power connects to the common. Both switches have three terminals on L1/L2/COMMON. I own a mains testing screwdriver and have found that one of the red wires coming into tube 1 has current. When testing the wires at switch 1 none of them light up which leads me to believe that the power does not come into that switch.

Here's the layout.

garagewiring.gif

First off you need to identify the switch wire form tube one to switch one using a continuity tester, then you need to identfiy the wire that goes between tube 1 and tube 2 with continuity testers the other two t+es will probally be feeds ie loop in loop out, 2 way switching looks ok ,at tube 1 connect the red wires form the loop cables and the cable that goes to the switch 1 in a conector block on there own, then use the black wire from switch 1(with some phase ident sleeving) in with the red wire from tube 2 and use this as your switch live to tube 1, then all you have left is the black wires conect all these as your nuturals, tube 2 is easy red switch live, black nutural, and all the cpcs (earths) together
Let me know how you get on but as said if your not sure get a spark!!
AJ

Last edited by a moderator:
If the second light is on permanently,looks like you have connected the second light from the first light onto the permanent live.Does the first light switch on and off and the second one stay on:confused:

ok firstly why are you messing with something that you are clearly not qualified to do that"s why we go to tech college and served a 5yr apprenticeship secondly throw away that pathetic mains tester screwdriver,ring a qualified electrician who will fix that in less than 20 mins and save your life i"m not a doctor so i won"t operate on anyone catch my drift!
Sorry mate,the OP was only looking for a bit of advice.Have you never done anything you weren't supposed to:p

Last edited by a moderator:
get a sparks to do it, surely you have a friend who is a sparks? it'll probably only cost you a drink.
We could all spend some time explaining what to do but if you get it wrong and quote us as the ones that advised you, it would be a "Claims Direct" day for sure. It's clear to see you have feed in/ feedout/ switch-line and switched feed but explaining how it all goes together to someone with limited knowledge is a bit risky............. so get ringing your mates;-)

well thanks for all! the responses.

ajelec10 said:
First off you need to identify the switch wire form tube one to switch one using a continuity tester

I found the switch wire by using a multimeter.

ajelec10 said:
then you need to identfiy the wire that goes between tube 1 and tube 2 with continuity testers the other two t+es will probally be feeds ie loop in loop out

could'nt get the leads to reach between the two tubes. tried using my jump leads as extension not sure it worked because all readings were 1. no change on any of the red wires.

ajelec10 said:
at tube 1 connect the red wires form the loop cables and the cable that goes to the switch 1 in a conector block on there own, then use the black wire from switch 1(with some phase ident sleeving) in with the red wire from tube 2 and use this as your switch live to tube 1, then all you have left is the black wires conect all these as your nuturals, tube 2 is easy red switch live, black nutural, and all the cpcs (earths) together

I got this setup eventually even without being 100% sure which red is the switch live, turned on the power, switched the switch and . . .

I now have tube 2 turning on and off with both switches but nothing going on with tube 1. :confused:

tried using my jump leads :eek:as extension not sure it worked because all readings were 1. no change on any of the red wires.

:eek::eek: Seriously mate; turn off the power in your garage, back slowly away, lock all doors & CALL someone before you hurt yourself.

I would love to help with drawings & advice (as it would be easy to sort out) but as stated before by others; everyone on this forum has your best interest at heart & to that end you need to get someone expeienced/qualified to come & help you. (I agree 20minutes at the most' a beer &/or a tenner to a friend should sort it.)

tried using my jump leads :eek:as extension not sure it worked because all readings were 1. no change on any of the red wires.

:eek::eek: Seriously mate; turn off the power in your garage, back slowly away, lock all doors & CALL someone before you hurt yourself.

I would love to help with drawings & advice (as it would be easy to sort out) but as stated before by others; everyone on this forum has your best interest at heart & to that end you need to get someone expeienced/qualified to come & help you. (I agree 20minutes at the most' a beer &/or a tenner to a friend should sort it.)

haha you think the power was on!!!!! that's funny I wondered what the response would be to that one. hahaha

I now have tube 2 turning on and off with both switches but nothing going on with tube 1. :confused:[/quote]

Try putting the bulb from tube 2 in to tube 1. It might be faulty!

Ok well you seem to be telling me what's wrong with the circuit, so fix it.

The thing about fault finding is to look at the obvious reasons first and work your way down from there. The bulb was the first obvious reason, seeing as you have light 2 working which is looped through light 1.

But if you don't want the advice.....

haha you think the power was on!!!!! that's funny I wondered what the response would be to that one. hahaha

Rusty

I sincerely hope he wasn't testing continuity with the power on! (Pop goes his meter:()
I was merely concerned that his level of competence was such that he didn't even know how to check continuity down a T&E cable & was using jump leads between the fittings.

notabrightspark;45691} said:
...... The bulb was the first obvious......

call spade a spade and a tube a tube :cool:

Am I the only one who hates the term bulb ......

bulbs should be planted in the garden shouldn't they, don't we call them lamps or tubes depending on their type?:confused:

bulbs should be planted in the garden shouldn't they,

Are you a gardener or a spark!:D

I was merely trying to simplify it for a novice!

If you wanna get technical then it's actually called a "luminaire" or even better still "Low-pressure mercury vapour lamps"....take your pick!!

Is it me or are people just getting really petty about small things on the forum lately, making sarcastic comments......instead of trying to help someone!:mad:

Last edited:
No mate its not you I think that lots of people need to read the forum rules and perhaps Dan could take that on board ie to join the forum you have to accept and acknowledge that you have read them. The mods and staff do a great job and should never have to intervene. Or perhaps as we have a Sparkys Pub we should also have a Sparkys kinder garden.

Chris

Reply to tube installation problem with diagram in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net