Discuss Tumble Dryer tripping out electrical supply in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

doy1es1

Hello,
It's my first post so apologies if this has been covered before.
I have a Hotpoint vented tumble dryer that keeps tripping all my electrical supply. I was originally getting a grinding noise but have replaced the bearings and it now spins ok and it heats ok but cuts out after a few minutes.
I am just trying to gauge whether to replace another part or the whole machine. Could this be an issue with the thermostat?
Thanks in advance.

When you say its tripping out the supply do you mean an RCD main switch on the fuse board ? If its tripping the main RCD then it a fault with the appliance and i would advise getting that looked at or for what they cost just get a new one its it old

Yes it is tripping the main RCD switch. I was thinking along those lines but thought that if it was a small,cheapish part then it would save me ditching the machine but I'll probably just have to bite the bullet and do it.
Thanks for your help.

I've had numerous problems with these, but mainly on the CTD series condenser type dryers.
Damp fluff builds up on the mica/paper insulating support of the open heating element, causing an earth leakage.
In some cases, the mica/paper insulator has deteriorated causing a misaligned element - the only safe repair is a new element unit.

Inspect the element for signs of this if yours is the open type too. Maybe some gentle cleaning with a vacuum and artist brush for dusting would be all that's needed.

Make sure the lint trap fits properly and has no rips in it.

Simon.

or invest in a clothes line. in this country you might be able to use it 5 days out of the year. LOL>

If the shaft and bearing had worn through, The drum can drop slightly and grind against the back panel and can sometimes cut a nic in the wiring to the heater .
Unplug .Take the heater cover off and look CLOSELY at the wires just where they come through the small hole. You will have to turn the wires over to see

i have come across several cases where the spade terminals in the thermal overloads for the heater elements have burnt through/ come adrift. maybe worth looking at.

Reply to Tumble Dryer tripping out electrical supply in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net