Discuss Turn single outlet socket into switch in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jonnystewart

Hi,

I live in a Bungalow and on one of the walls in a room there is a single plug socket which is not used.

Can I turn this socket into a switch and then add a socket to the same wiring up in the loft, so that the switch turns the socket on/off?

Thanks

Jonny

replace the single socket with a 13A FCU (fused spur connection unit) and then run 2.5mm T/E up to the loft. chased in or use mini-trunking till you're ready to redecorate.

Hi,

I live in a Bungalow and on one of the walls in a room there is a single plug socket which is not used.

Can I turn this socket into a switch and then add a socket to the same wiring up in the loft, so that the switch turns the socket on/off?

Thanks

Jonny

Yes. Depending on how the socket is currently wired, the switch may have to be in the line only (single pole), like a light switch. The switch would need to be suitably rated for the load. The wiring to the switch and new socket may need fusing down.

Get an electrician in to do it safely.

replace the single socket with a 13A FCU (fused spur connection unit) and then run 2.5mm T/E up to the loft. chased in or use mini-trunking till you're ready to redecorate.

Thanks for your help - is the approach you mentioned the same as the 'after scenario' as per the image attached?

If so could I also wire it with adding a 3 way junction box on the existing wire and then installing the outlet/socket off the junction box?

Thanks

Jonny

suggestion.png

you should already have 2 cables in that single socket. your new cable to the attic socket would make 3. a bit of a squeeze in a single FCU, the 2 existing into the L and N IN, and the new cable into Land N OUT. and never fit junction boxes if avoidable. they're just another point of failure.

Another option (if it's a RFC to the current socket and you can see both cables above in the attic) is to end the ring in the attic, and use one of the current wires to the current socket as a feed to what will become your new FCU, then the other wire (already installed) can be intercepted and used up in the attic for a socket saving you from needing to pull another cable in.

If my post isn't very clear, let me know and I'll draw it up.

Another option (if it's a RFC to the current socket and you can see both cables above in the attic) is to end the ring in the attic, and use one of the current wires to the current socket as a feed to what will become your new FCU, then the other wire (already installed) can be intercepted and used up in the attic for a socket saving you from needing to pull another cable in.

glad to see someone's got their thinking head on. good call. would need a JB in the attic though.

unless the cables come up from floor level

I was thinking the same, unless the cables are ran under the floor.

99% will be concrete floors if bungalow built later than 1970. suspended timber floor would cost the builder far too much for him to maintain his yacht in the mediterranean.

Reply to Turn single outlet socket into switch in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net