Discuss Turning 1 flat into 2- metering etc in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J.C.E

-
Arms
Reaction score
Afternoon chaps,

Just looked at a job
customer owns/works in a small office/shop- also owns the flat above- currently 1 flat over 1st and 2nd floors.

He is turning the flat into 1 studio flat and another flat. so total renovation and me to rewire.

current metering arrangement as follows:

shop has own single phase 80/100a head with own meter and c/u- inside shop
then flat has own single phase 80/100a head with own meter and c/u- inside flat on ground floor bottom of stairs.

No gas at the property so will be all electric.

Shop is very basic- has a 32a ring- probably <10 d.sockets, 1x 6a lighting circuit- around 20x led downlights, and a 16a under sink water heater (unsure of kw of heater)

In studio flat A- will be:
2x 2kw panel heaters
1x shower (he has bought a 10.5kw- but he now knows he will likely have to change that for a power show)
1x elec cooker
1x elec hob
around 10x led downlights
around 10x sockets

In flat B- will be:
3x 2kw panel heaters
1x shower (he has bought a 10.5kw- but he now knows he will likely have to change that for a power show)
1x elec cooker
1x elec hob
around 20x led downlights
around 15x sockets

even with him returning the 2x 10.5kw showers and using power showers- I still think having the 2 flats on the 1x 80/100a head is tad risky- but he doesn't want to pay for new supply or turning the single phase head into 3ph.

Would splitting the 80/100a head in the shop by henleys- getting supplier to put a 2nd meter in (ideally local in the studio flat rather than in shop) and run a 16/25mm 3core swa from shop head directly above through ceiling into studio flat above (this area will be kitchen- so have the c/u and meter in some kind of boxing the - run <5m so would have to put in a sw fused isolator.

thoughts please

Two points, IMO the Metering supply company will not connect any metering equipment to any private Sub main, and second the DNO will not use the said 80/100amp cutout (ie shared) in shop, what they may do on survey if supply cable is big enough is jump off the cut out and provide an additional 80amp cut out supply off it. Other than that it will need a new supply.

Two points, IMO the Metering supply company will not connect any metering equipment to any private Sub main, and second the DNO will not use the said 80/100amp cutout (ie shared) in shop, what they may do on survey if supply cable is big enough is jump off the cut out and provide an additional 80amp cut out supply off it. Other than that it will need a new supply.

ball park figure he be looking at for jumping off to a new 80amp cut out?

but he doesn't want to pay for new supply or turning the single phase head into 3ph.

He may have no choice when he later gets tenants ringing up saying it's all tripped again.

Get the DNO in as above, there may be a cheapish (In DNO terms) solution.

'Following our brief walk around earlier- I have asked a few questions/ done a bit of research online.

It looks like your best bet would be to contact UKPOWERNETWORKS
http://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/internet/en/our-services/list-of-services/upgrade-fuse/

Explain to them you have a 80/100amp main service head in a single flat that you plan to turn into two flats- but its all electric no gas- so your electric demand (2x elec showers, 2x cookers, 2x elec hobs, 5x 2kw heaters, sockets and lighting) is too much for your current supply.

Ideally they will come out for a survey (not sure if they charge for this- but you can ask)- and the cheapest option for you- but they will advise- would be for them to install a 2nd 80/100amp main service head- taping off of the current supply cable that is there (the service cable is the expensive bit- so hopefully they will not have to replace this!)

With this 2nd 80/100amp main head in the communal downstairs hall of the flats- then get your electricity supplier (British gas, EDF -whoever you pay your bills to) to fit a 2nd electric meter here. Then there will be 1 main fuse, 1 meter, 1 consumer unit/fuseboard for the shop, for the studio flat and for the top flat.

Let me know how you get on with UKPOWERNETWORKS.

Kind regards.'

Just checking you haven't forgot to factor in hot water for each flat, presumably a 3kW immersion in each as well?

Reply to Turning 1 flat into 2- metering etc in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net