Discuss Turning on light trips at fuse box...? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi there

I'm having a bit of a difficulty re two sets of lights on the downstairs that keep tripping the fuse box when I go to turn them on.

The story.... I was asked to take down 4 lights for a house move and replace them with basic ceiling roses, simple enough, yeah!!?

Lights all down and I've wired 2 of the ceiling roses all good.

However, when I went to wire the 3rd one it keeps tripping the box when I go to turn it on.
I'm wiring into the neutral and return live, as I did on the ones that are working, though tripping every time.
I tried the 4th light, that's the same, tripping when I go to turn on the light.
Also, if it's relevant, the light switch was sticking halfway, jamming, though opened up the switch to release it.

This small 'favour' is giving me grief!!

Appreciate any help, thank you!!

Sounds like you have not separated out the switched live, so there's a short through the switch. That will probably have scrogged the switch too, that's why it was stuck.

Post a photo of the wiring at that light. You'll need a new switch, but lets sort teh wiring out first.

What cables have you got at each light point? is it a 2way system? is the switching arrangement 2 gang? Any pictures you could post up?

Hi there

Thanks for replies.

I'll post pics bit later tonight thanks.

There's 3 cables coming from the ceiling, the switched live is separate, as per other 2 lights that are working.

Both lights are 2 gang.

Pics asap later. Thanks.

Reply to Turning on light trips at fuse box...? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock