Discuss TV/Phone Wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

nandrews87

Hey Folks

I am just about complete with first fixing a 4 bedroom house, only thing left is the TV and Phone points. Am I correct in thinking that all I am required to do is wire a coax cable from each desired TV point to a central point ie the attic, and for the phone outlets I just have to run a CAT6 from each desired phone outlet to the same central location.

Depends on the sky situation. Will there be sky? 2 coax points to be taken from where the dish will be to a centre location where the sky box will be. Then one coax to the tvs

There are so many ways of doing this. Though. In the way above you wouldn't have the main location in the loft because that is where the sky box will be. If there's a problem it's not ideal to be climbing in the loft to get to the sky box

why cat 6? for phones use cat 5 if being used for data, telephone cable if just for phones.

How I do it is take two cables from the sky dish (if there is one) to the main TV location. A co-ax from the ariel to the main TV and a co-ax from the TV to a splitter in the loft. From the splitter a coax to each TV in the house.

3 pair telephone cable from the main BT point and daisy chained to every other point not forgetting the TV for Sky. I suppose nowadays it might be worth running a cat 6 from the router position to the main TV so you can get Sky Anytime+

You may need a booster box if you are splitting a tv aerial signal a few ways. Make sure you have a socket in the loft close to where you want your central coax hub, just in case.

If you have sky there, then there will be a coax socket on the back of the box to take into the loft where you can split the sky signal to several tv's.
Daisy chain phone cable from master socket to last slave, normal phone cable will do fine.
I also ran cat 6 data cable from my study to each room that may need a good internet connection, to save worrying about a wireless connection.

Finally, make sure all your phone/coax/data cables are in different conduit drops to your mains.

all you will need is 4 sat cables from attic down to lounge tv, sat1,sat2,tv,return. then from attic take a sat cable to each room in the house,you can get a loft box and blug cables in this will send sky to other rooms if you want it too,you also have a port for cctv aswell.
i would be asking the question now what cables are sky changing to as an aerial guy told me cat5 is what they were also using for interactive etc.
your telephone i would run from master upstairs telephone and seperatley down stairs telephone then if you have any problems its easy to breakdown.

Reply to TV/Phone Wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net