Discuss TV power cable rewire to 115v 5a socket in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a question regarding rewiring a TV power cable.
I have a TV which has a power output of 63W, and runs off a normal UK 3 pin 240V 13A supply, with a 3A fuse built into the plug.
I also have a power socket which runs off 115V mains with a max current output of 5A (it’s one of those old round-pin lighting sockets).
My question is - how dangerous/bad would it be to simply rewire the plug, and instead of the fused square-pin plug, add a non-fused, round-pin plug?
I’ve read about the current vs. voltage vs. power and to my (very) amateur eye it doesn’t seem to be a problem, however before just doing it and potentially starting an electrical fire, I thought I’d ask the experts.
Many thanks,
Tom.

You would need to have the same voltage and at least the same current capacity for the tv to work.
Removing the fused protection of the tv would also be bad for safety.
Not a good choice to make.

There should be a label on the TV stating what voltage it uses. Mine says 'AC220-240v'

my gut instinct is to say that this sounds like a bad idea.

Is there not an engineer, electrician or other person on-board the ship who is responsible for electrical safety who could advise you on this?

So you expect a 240volt TV to work on 115 volts? Hmmm I must be missing something.

So you expect a 240volt TV to work on 115 volts? Hmmm I must be missing something.

Maybe it will work but the picture frame rate will be half the speed... :tearsofjoy:

Might go back to black and white - the other 125 volts bring in the other colours. You could watch old sitcoms.
On the buses
‘Til death us do part
Steptoe And son

Reply to TV power cable rewire to 115v 5a socket in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net