Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

Discuss TV power cable rewire to 115v 5a socket in the DIY Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Tags:
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Tom Flah

Tom Flah New EF Member

Hi all,
    I have a question regarding rewiring a TV power cable.
    I have a TV which has a power output of 63W, and runs off a normal UK 3 pin 240V 13A supply, with a 3A fuse built into the plug.
    I also have a power socket which runs off 115V mains with a max current output of 5A (it’s one of those old round-pin lighting sockets).
    My question is - how dangerous/bad would it be to simply rewire the plug, and instead of the fused square-pin plug, add a non-fused, round-pin plug?
    I’ve read about the current vs. voltage vs. power and to my (very) amateur eye it doesn’t seem to be a problem, however before just doing it and potentially starting an electrical fire, I thought I’d ask the experts.
    Many thanks,
    Tom.

2. Andy-1960

Andy-1960 Electrician's Arms

What makes you think the 5A sockets are 115v?

3. Tom Flah

Tom Flah New EF Member

I know they are. I’m on a ship, and they’re labelled as coming from that specific domestic power supply, the one supplying 115V and 5A

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. Richard Burns

Richard Burns Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Richard Burns
    You would need to have the same voltage and at least the same current capacity for the tv to work.
    Removing the fused protection of the tv would also be bad for safety.
    Not a good choice to make.

5. Spoon

Spoon Trusted Advisor

There should be a label on the TV stating what voltage it uses. Mine says 'AC220-240v'

6. davesparks

davesparks Trusted Advisor

my gut instinct is to say that this sounds like a bad idea.

Is there not an engineer, electrician or other person on-board the ship who is responsible for electrical safety who could advise you on this?

7. Percyprod

Percyprod Regular EF Member

So you expect a 240volt TV to work on 115 volts? Hmmm I must be missing something.

8. Spoon

Spoon Trusted Advisor

Maybe it will work but the picture frame rate will be half the speed... :tearsofjoy:

9. Rpa07

Rpa07 2000 posts - only 46379 behind Telectrix! Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Ebenezer electrical
    Might go back to black and white - the other 125 volts bring in the other colours. You could watch old sitcoms.
    On the buses
    ‘Til death us do part
    Steptoe And son