Discuss TV receiving freeview signal with no aerial attached? in the Freeview and Terrestrial TV Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Rockingit

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Had a chance call-in this afternoon at one of my customers, and while there he asked me if I knew any TV guys. It's not something I do, but asked him what the problem was and he said one of the sets was intermittent in getting signal, but all others in the house were fine. So I had a quick look and saw that there's a twin sat plate, and twin coax plate on the wall, all looking tidy enough (I had no kit with me). But then, he turned the set on to demonstrate the problem, and it worked, without being plugged in to the wall. So, wondering if I might have been some model which had a built-in antenna I took the coax out of the back and the signal went. So, this set was able to receive a good-enough signal for freeview simply down the 3-4m of coax laying on the floor.

Threw me completely, does this happen often??

Had a chance call-in this afternoon at one of my customers, and while there he asked me if I knew any TV guys. It's not something I do, but asked him what the problem was and he said one of the sets was intermittent in getting signal, but all others in the house were fine. So I had a quick look and saw that there's a twin sat plate, and twin coax plate on the wall, all looking tidy enough (I had no kit with me). But then, he turned the set on to demonstrate the problem, and it worked, without being plugged in to the wall. So, wondering if I might have been some model which had a built-in antenna I took the coax out of the back and the signal went. So, this set was able to receive a good-enough signal for freeview simply down the 3-4m of coax laying on the floor.

This happens in my area with saorview, i can actually see rte mast from my house

This happens in my area with saorview, i can actually see rte mast from my house

But the nearest mendips transmitter for this place is miles away and there's hills in between!

could be skip. where the signal bounces off the hills and just happens to make landfall behind the tV.

I use a length of co-ax as an antenna for my laptop USB TV adaptor this does not always receive or tune all the available channels though

But the nearest mendips transmitter for this place is miles away and there's hills in between!

You may find you have a local repeater transmitter as there are quite a few associated with the mendip transmitter

not when you want it too:6: and in theory the shielding should prevent this

Reply to TV receiving freeview signal with no aerial attached? in the Freeview and Terrestrial TV Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net