Discuss TV wall aerial socket issue in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Matt73

Hello All

I'm looking for some advice/pointers regarding a tv aerial socket problem.
I've moved into a new house where the tv signal was a bit dodgy due to a damaged
wall socket (the metal femail part of the connector was damaged probably as a result of
the aerial lead from the tv being yanked out of the wall socket).

Anyway, as the connection wasn't great, I replaced the wall socket with a new
bog standard aerial plate. I checked the aerial cable itself an prepared it as
directed on the box with the braided part of the cable and core the right lengths
etc and then screwed down and with the clamp on/over the braided part of the aerial
cable.

The problem now is it doesn't work at all - the tv says weak or no signal. I've double
checked my wiring to the new wall socket and made sure no braiding touches the inner
core wire. The TV won't pick up any channels when I let it auto tune itself back in.

If it worked before (albeit a dodgy connection at times) why would it not work at all now?
I can't see where the problem lies. I checked the aerial in the loft and the connection to the
antenna - all good as far as I can see. I haven't moved or interferred with anything else.
The antenna points the same direction as all the other aerials on my street.

I am at a loss what to do next - can anyone help? Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reading

Mr NoTellySignalMan

Make sure the inner core hasn,t broken,otherwise try putting an aerial plug on the end of it and using a coupler plug your flyleaf into that,that will prove if it,s the socket or something else that's wrong.other thing is check TV is tuning on digital not analogue,some TV,s you have to select which.

Make sure that no braid is touching the centre core as well

Thanks for the replies. Are you refering to those metal F connectors? I'll give that a try to bypass the wall socket option.

The braiding isn't touching the centre core. My TV gives the option of combined digital and analogue tuning as well as digital and analogue on their own.

Thanks again.

Just try a normal uhf aerial plug on the end of the wire sticking out of the wall.

Have you checked the fly lead? Your wall plate may be perfectly all right but it's the lead/connection from there to the TV that's at fault.

pj

Have you checked the fly lead? Your wall plate may be perfectly all right but it's the lead/connection from there to the TV that's at fault.

pj

Thin, poor quality fly leads are often the cause. Always make my own with decent coax and connectors.

Is there am amplifier somewhere Possibly in loft. Been taken by previous owner?

I had problem recently at a property......similar problem, was completely baffled.......turned out to be, water had got into the cable on the ariel and had tracked down the cable some 10m away.

Thanks for all your replies folks. I'm going to try a new fly lead first and new connectors to bypass the socket. I can't why it would be the aerial antenna in the loft because it worked before and nothing has been touched up there. Bought a flylead with gold plated connectors so will see what happens......

thanks again

yes. please do. bugs me and others too I'm sure when people offer advice and the OP says thanks I'll try that and then disappears. common courtesy to say how you got on :)

Sorry, not had a chance to log back on since my last post. The gold plated fly lead worked a treat! (only £8.66 for a 10m cable from Wickes) problem now sorted. Strange how you take tv for granted until it stops working. Thank you again for your replies. A little learning curve there for the future - until now, I knew sod all about tv, aerials, deflector shields etc.

It was baffling as I'd wired in the wall socket correctly and the antenna was fine so it defied logic. I never would have expected a simple cable could be the fault!

Reply to TV wall aerial socket issue in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net