Discuss Twin florescent led tubes confusion in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

Tile seller

Good afternoon all,

I have a set up of two tubes wired together so that both tubes need to be working to make it all work. They run off the old fashioned fluorescent tubes.
Electro magnetic ballasts.

I've bought Fusion T8 led tubes, 45mA 9w 300 900lm 4000k 04/16.
These work fine.

When I reordered to get more they had updated this model of tube to
45mA 9w 300 900lm 4000k JCE16

This new tube will work if put along side one of the older ones but not if put together.
This seems really strange and Im wondering if anyone knows why this is,

Thanks

Chris

Hi Chris and Welcome to the Forum !
I've not seen this before, but for want of an idea perhaps try a new starter for the new tubes?

Normally you need a L and N at one end of the tube. Disconnecting and linking out the ballast/starter and getting rid of the capacitor should ensure the tube works whichever way around it is inserted.

Thanks for the responses,
There's so many lights that it would take alot of time to doctor them all but that may have to happen if we want to stick with the led option then.
I really wanted an easy plug and go option.

the LED tubes tah i ve fitted all have L to pins at one end and N to the other. just reconfigure the tub wiring with wagos and ditch all the old crap.

the LED tubes tah i ve fitted all have L to pins at one end and N to the other. just reconfigure the tub wiring with wagos and ditch all the old crap.
Reminder to oneself, learn more about LED never used it, know SFA about it would like to though, anyone got any ideas where I can improve my understanding of this new fangled ( to me at least) way of Illuminati the darkness, seriously I would like to know more, but never had the need.

I think what's happening is that there wired in series, with the output from one tube suppling the other and the newer tube is unable to do this.

Sounds like retro fit tubes. So originally you had a normal tube and ballast and possibly starter. The retro fit led tubes are complete rubbish in my opinion and the combinations of possibilities of wiring and failure are massive. If you're not careful I will upload a chart detailing this! Anyway the best thing to do is get LED battens and have done with it. You will never have to "doctor" anything and it is failsafe.

Hi vortigern,
Yes, the wiring is originally for old fluro tubes and I believe this is called retro fit.
I'll look up about led battens!
I can well understand what u mean about combos of wiring for old tubes and thus the probibily of faliure in exchanging for led.

Hi vortigern,
Yes, the wiring is originally for old fluro tubes and I believe this is called retro fit.
I'll look up about led battens!
I can well understand what u mean about combos of wiring for old tubes and thus the probibily of faliure in exchanging for led.

Sounds like retro fit tubes. So originally you had a normal tube and ballast and possibly starter. The retro fit led tubes are complete rubbish in my opinion and the combinations of possibilities of wiring and failure are massive. If you're not careful I will upload a chart detailing this! Anyway the best thing to do is get LED battens and have done with it. You will never have to "doctor" anything and it is failsafe.

A lot of the retrofit LED tubes have a shorting link to replace the starter and keep the ballast so you still have some losses through that if you were hoping to save a load of money. And if you've got HF or some of the old vivatronic gear it's a non 'starter' :)

Well anyway LED battens, real good no fecking about. Plus you can get away with a lot less of them due to better lumen output. As a for instance...

Unit33EBCstartofLEDfit.JPG

471.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Twin florescent led tubes confusion in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net