Discuss Two basic switch/indicator questions... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I've recently moved in to an upstairs flat and in the bathroom there is fused switch on the roof - which I have to turn on so that the extractor fan would come on... Can I remove the fused switch and fit a cord pull type switch? Any ideas why there would be a fused switch fitted?

Also, I have a shared staircase and at the bottom I have a switch that turns on a light in the staircase, in the lounge there is a double pole, single gang switch, one switch controls the staircase light. I'm wondering if there is a way to have some kind of indicator (red led etc) display if the staircase light is turned on - no matter which switch is used?

Thanks in advance

Hi DG and welcome to the Forum!
Manufacturers of extractor fans sometimes specify a 3 A fuse in the supply for safety reasons. A pull switch could be added to the existing circuit, but I wouldn't remove the fused switch without confirming whether the fan needs it.

Hi,if you could explain why you have a need for an indicator lamp,and where it needs fitting,it may aid assistance.

Hi,if you could explain why you have a need for an indicator lamp,and where it needs fitting,it may aid assistance.
Sure, Basically its a shared hallway - between myself and one other neighbour. He insists on turning on my light and going in to his flat - despite me asking him not too etc... I wouldn't mind but he can't turn off my light upstairs so it ends up staying on until I notice it...

So I'm thinking of fitting something like those light switches with a little red light, so that when the light is turned on either in my lounge, or on the staircase, the light would illuminate and then I can see easily if the light is on (Meaning I don't have to keep checking outside...)

I did see some 240v led's which I'm guessing I could wire up inline and drill a small mounting hole in the switch face to do the job but wondered if there was something better off the shelf?

I was thinking of something similar to the attached image, but for indoor use...

ae235.jpg

Last edited:
Can I remove the fused switch and fit a cord pull type switch? Any ideas why there would be a fused switch fitted?
You could leave the fused switch there and add a pull-cord switch to enable/disable the fan. But the fuse must remain in place. It is there for a reason. Maybe the MI's demand it or the supply could be from a 32A ring final circuit for instance.

Also, I have a shared staircase and at the bottom I have a switch that turns on a light in the staircase, in the lounge there is a double pole, single gang switch, one switch controls the staircase light. I'm wondering if there is a way to have some kind of indicator (red led etc) display if the staircase light is turned on - no matter which switch is used?
Need to see the wiring in both switches. There may be a way, but it depends........

It's a basic 2 gang 2 way switch with strappers to upstairs, live at down and switch wire (grey) upstairs. No neutrals involved so neon/led is not really a possibility.
Get a spark in to loop a mains alarm sounder off the light....that'll remind him to switch it off. :eek:..and make you run up the stairs quickly.

yeah I thought about pir, but he will still use it - sounds pathetic I know but he has an identical one - just I guess I pay for mine and he pays for his, so if he uses mine then its all good...

I'm thinking a test switch type thing with the little key haha....

You’d need a PIR that has a changeover switch for the 2-way switching. Never seen one of those!
You’d need one at top and bottom pc the stairs.

So this is a communal area? How is the circuit arrangement set up,with regard to the two flats,and this staircase?

Reply to Two basic switch/indicator questions... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net