Discuss two buildings into one in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys. been asked to look at a job where two buildings have been made into one, where a building as been erected in between and combined to make one building. been like this for a while and had numerous inspections and passed.now recently its had ecir done and failed because there are two seperate supplies coming into the building and the inspecter as failed it because he thinks it need the mets joining together, fair enough i think except its proberbly a good 100 mtr run with quite a few obsticles. if i was to price this would it be classed as a bonding condutor and would 10mm be sufficient? hope that makes some sort of sense.
Regards Darren.

Two things spring to mind here, ....Which of these 2 supplies is going to be the MET, You would normally have only one MET per installation. The other is, are these 2 supplies single phase, and if so are they the SAME phase or two different phases off the DNO supply coming into the building??

Another question is, are these 2 incoming supplies PME??

Thanks for the quick response. they are not pme. one building is three phase and one building is single phase, and are being run as two seperate buildings, so there are two mets. the idea being it failed because the two mets need linking to create one.

Thanks for the quick response. they are not one. one building is three phase and one building is single phase, and are being run as two separate buildings, so there are two meets. the idea being it failed because the two mets need linking to create one.

If these two linked buildings are being run/used as two separate buildings then there is no need to link the two METs.
They are as they were originally, 2 separate metered supplies for two separate buildings. the only difference being that the boundaries are now internal rather than external so-to-speak!!

So i can't understand why this inspector is calling for the two METs to be linked out. Do the other incoming services (water/gas/etc) cross between these two buildings/sections, or only serve the separated sections of this building??

Thanks engineer. looking at the heating system, it seems to be fed from the single phase supply in one building with pipe work and radiators continuing to the next and all pipework crossbonded back to the single phase board.

that,s a good question snowhead, there is also a small consumer unit in the new middle bit thats fed from a swa what looks to run back to the single phase board of which i'm 95% sure.

Thanks engineer. looking at the heating system, it seems to be fed from the single phase supply in one building with pipe work and radiators continuing to the next and all pipework crossbonded back to the single phase board.

Are these two sections of this now combined building occupied by the same people/company or otherwise (tenanted out) ?? I can't understand why the heating system is supplying both sections of the building if they are occupied by different people/companies. Unless of course it's a communal facility that's included in the rental tariff.

From what you describe, it seems that the Single Phase supply is the primary source of supply for most of this building. Are all 3 phases of the 3 phase supply being used or just one of the phases. I would have guessed that the 3 phase supply would have been used to supply the new middle section, rather than the single phase supply.

Well i suppose you had better get on and install this 100m of bonding cable. Not how i would have done things ...but there you go!! lol!!!

So how would you do it? i can't see any other way!

I meant, ....that i wouldn't have arranged the incoming supplies as you have described in this thread. I would have thought that a 3 phase supply ( at 80A/100A per phase) would have been ample to supply the whole place. lol!!

ok i see what you mean, unfortunately its been two seperate buildings made into one with two metering points. but thanks to all, i'd better get my miners lamp and try and find a way through.:cry_smile:

Reply to two buildings into one in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net