Discuss Two cables connected to mcb in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I suspect this is the case of an existing circuit and then someone lashing another to it because they cannot be be bothered to employ correct installation methods by using an additional protective device at a spare way or advising the existing board has inadequate capacity.

Based on what evidence? Whilst this is possibly what has happened, there is nothing in the regulations to prevent a circuit being extended in this way.
If a radial socket circuit has the capacity for additional sockets, then why not extend it from the DB if that's the most logical place to connect it? Surely this is better than adding an additional joint into the circuit somewhere?

reg 314.4
when an installation comprise more then one final circuit .each final circuit shall be connected to a separate way in the distribution board .

Yes, now add the definition of a circuit.

There is nothing which prevents a circuit being formed of two branches from an ocpd. This could be a better design if it reduces th overall length of the circuit

Why aren't you soaking up the sun, and drinking those lite beers the Yanks favour, instead of wasting your time on here. Holiday of a life time you said!!

Yup... Very true, but there's good wifi in the parks and there's time in the queues....

It's 32 here now and we've just got back to the villa..... And I've just had a dip in the pool. It'll be beer o'clock very soon, not rubbish yank beer though....

Yes yes yes heard all this and 314-01-04 refers to final circuit, I will not be swayed by sideway interpretations.

I don't think my interpretation is sideways, the definition of a circuit is clear, as is the regulation I think you are referring to, For the sake of avoiding ambiguity lets just call it the whole of 314.

You still have not provided any clear definition of a circuit which you are referring to, nor any clear regulation which prohibits a circuit having two branches, or two legs, being fed from the middle of the circuit, etc.

As it stands, if you were carrying out an eicr on an installation I had designed with a circuit of this nature then I think my lawyers would be ripping you a new one by now.

Westward your argument has as much logic as the neutrals in switches argument. Some people just seem to stick their head in the sand and ignore facts.
You seem to admit that it complies with 7671 and yet insist on coding it!
You need to remember that coding can cost the occupier money, a lot of money. Unless you can justify a safety issue or a departure you CANT code.
Coding because of your personal views is simply unacceptable.

Reply to Two cables connected to mcb in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net