Discuss Two cables connected to mcb in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Guys, there is clearly a conflict of opinions here which leads to hopefully a good debate and what the forum is about, but can we refrain from mocking comments and pictures, let's keep the discussion to a respectable level, mocking members be it seasoned or new is only going to promote replies that derail the thread and rubs everyone up the wrong way.

I would appreciate it if we all keep the debate on a professional and mature level and regardless who is right or wrong we refrain from lowering the tone with personal/character attacks on members.

Thanyou.

Sorry guys..not sure what happened there, software glitch posted my reply about 10times :O

Reg 999.888.777.666.555.444.333.222.111- common sense. If you are a grown up and a practising electrician sometimes you have to make a judgement call. Dearest customer- here is my the reason for my C3 based on guidelines (i.e. BS7671) and my experience. I have given this a C3 code because of an isolation issue. The safety device is protecting the cable and humans/animals etc fire and electrocution. However, an improvement could be made by providing individual switching for these two circuits thus limiting inconvenience during a fault or maintenance. This is why we wire upstairs sockets/downtairs lights etc, to limit inconvenience. Be try best you can be, give the customer the option to have the safest and best setup that you can provide, but ultimately it's their decision. Explain that there are no spare ways so a new board would need to be fitted and this is how much it would cost. 90% of this particular topic is common sense, 10% common sense. Sometimes it's the other way round, most of the time it's somewhere in between- never forget that my pedigree chums!

Reg 999.888.777.666.555.444.333.222.111- common sense. If you are a grown up and a practising electrician sometimes you have to make a judgement call. Dearest customer- here is my the reason for my C3 based on guidelines (i.e. BS7671) and my experience. I have given this a C3 code because of an isolation issue. The safety device is protecting the cable and humans/animals etc fire and electrocution. However, an improvement could be made by providing individual switching for these two circuits thus limiting inconvenience during a fault or maintenance. This is why we wire upstairs sockets/downtairs lights etc, to limit inconvenience. Be try best you can be, give the customer the option to have the safest and best setup that you can provide, but ultimately it's their decision. Explain that there are no spare ways so a new board would need to be fitted and this is how much it would cost. 90% of this particular topic is common sense, 10% common sense. Sometimes it's the other way round, most of the time it's somewhere in between- never forget that my pedigree chums!

But it's one circuit though....... isolate from the 1 MCB

But it's one circuit though....... isolate from the 1 MCB[/QUOTE
IMHO and without having the advantage of seeing the job I would suspect the sockets/lights are in different areas of the building. Otherwise, why not extend? I.e. The last fitting or socket on the first radial is a long way from the next. If the board is closer to the next fitting/socket, start from there again. There may also be access issues so yes, start a new radial. But it could possibly inconvenience the customer when you need to isolate and you lose both radials. So the existing installation is safe and works fine, but I can make it better.

Evening All

Im sure this will have been discussed at some point (if so please point me to a relevant thread)

I have been to look at some remedial work where a previous inspector has flagged up on multiple circuits 'DBx Cx has two cables in mcb, need separating - C2'

These circuits are either lighting or radial power circuits supplying a small amount of sockets. All suitably rated and with decent R1+R2 readings.

I have never seen this to be worthy of a mention let alone a C2 code, i have spoken to my CPS technical and they said they cant see an issue. Just looking for anyone else's opinion

Thanks in advance!
Circuits shering...C3 improvement recommended!!!

And with reference to another long standing thread, never have I ever connected 4 x 2.5mm cables which were retired storage heater feeds into 1 x 20a MCB to feed 4 new sockets. :D

Reply to Two cables connected to mcb in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock