Discuss two circuits in one mcb. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

V

vectraj

Hello

Just opened up a consumer unit, to find two circuits (lights and extractors) coming out of one 10 amp mcb. This isn't right is it? What should I do come the time to test and record results? Where would I write them down?

I've always thought its 1 fuse/breaker per circuit? head scratcher for me.

As above its classed as one circuit - if it feeds 2 seperate loads then test both legs and record the worse of the readings.

Its common to have a lighting circuit and then a E/M light supply out of the same mcb, your only limitation to the no' of cables in one mcb is the ensuring the mcb clamp is tight on all conductors.

I wouldn't really agree that it's "not ideal". After all, feeding two legs of a radial circuit from the distribution board will reduce circuit length.

also frequently have a smoke alarm circuit combined with a lighting circuit in 1 MCB. as said before, it then becomes 1 circuit. as long as the MCB is rated for the total load, no problemo.

Hello [emoji4]

Just opened up a consumer unit, to find two circuits (lights and extractors) coming out of one 10 amp mcb. This isn't right is it? What should I do come the time to test and record results? Where would I write them down?

I've always thought its 1 fuse/breaker per circuit? head scratcher for me.

If you look up the way 7671 defines a circuit you will find that everything supplied from a single OCPD is defined as one circuit.
As far as testing goes it's no different to any other circuit, test it and record the highest results for impedance.

Way to many old wives tales on this one.
Is it unsafe or dangerous in any way ??
If its considered non compliant because of interpreting one of the many regs that mis-interpretation can be so easily applied too, then let logic dictate and as you say, it becomes as simple as it looks.
Its one circuit by definition so treat it as such, simple as.

Reply to two circuits in one mcb. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock