Discuss Two 'Circuits' in one MCB in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Silly Sausage

Can't find the recent thread about this, but I've been looking at smoke detectors and got this from AICO under System Installation:

"• The supply for the mains powered alarms shall be taken from an electrically protected, regularly used local lighting circuit at the nearest source except for when the house is being rewired, then the supply
will be taken back to the consumers unit and connected to the same MCB as the local lighting circuit,
confirmation of connection method shall be provided from the Contract Administrator.
• All cabling shall be as specified in Clause 411 and shall be installed in accordance with the requirements
of BS 7671:2008 3rd Amendment 2015 (17th Edition IEE Wiring Regulations) and connected in accordance
with the manufacturers recommendations. "

So, there you have it!

so that advice bolloxes the idea of putting them on a dedicated circuit?

We use Deta on new builds.
Manufacturers instructions still allow them to be on a designated circuit as long as nothing else is connected to it so the notion that they have to be installed on a local lighting circuit is rubbish

Hi just been on an 18th edition update seminar, and smoke alarms did come up, the man (Darren Staniforth) did comment that smokes can be on a dedicated MCB, or on which I prefer a commonly used lighting MCB, ..........so its still just as grey as it always has been

Hi just been on an 18th edition update seminar, and smoke alarms did come up, the man (Darren Staniforth) did comment that smokes can be on a dedicated MCB, or on which I prefer a commonly used lighting MCB, ..........so its still just as grey as it always has been

Just remember the NICEIC don’t write the rules .....

Good practice says they should be on a lighting circuit so they don’t get switched off ..... so your practice is better than his ...

There's clearly arguements for both, the one about having the smokes on with a lighting circuit clearly eliminates the chance of the circuit being switched off so makes a lot of sense.
If people don’t want the smokes then they will remove the head and battery if need be regardless what circuit they are on.
I’ve even seen them covered up by a shopping bag.
If they are switched off then the battery will beep anyway

Reply to Two 'Circuits' in one MCB in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net