Discuss Two completely different quotes for garden lighting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Mr Thompson

Hi guys, new to this forum.

I have two quotes to get electricity in put in the garden. One quote was £250 and the other was £900. The person quoting £900 wanted to install another fuse box and have a cable going from there around the entire garden (which isn't large, probably 10x6m). I also showed a picture of my garden to another electrician I bumped into and he said it would cost roughly that.

Another electrician (who has installed a few lights for me) quoted £250. To install the security light, he will run it from the plug socket in the kitchen and install a (I think it's called) transformer. To do the electricity in the garden (garden lights and sockets for a water feature etc.), he will run the cable from the fuse box and around the garden. I'm just paying for labour and will buy the lights and camera myself.

The cheaper quote is obviously more favorable but I am a little lost why the 2 quotes are so different. I'm no expert but even with me being naturally sceptical I think the cheapest quite is the most realistic. All I'm am doing essentially is running a cable from the fuse box around the garden.

Any advice?

It is perfectly possible,not knowing the exact quote,for the two quotes to be correct.

Just two different quotes,for two different jobs.

One could be the minimum needed,to get what you want operational and compliant.
The other,ensuring adequate options for future additions and upgrades.

As PEG says, it depends on what the first chap believes he quoting on. From what you've said, I'd be looking at at least two circuits, one for the water feature and one for the lights so they can be switched independently from inside. Depending on the number of spare ways on your consumer unit (and whether it has RCD protection in it already), a new consumer may be required to do a more thorough job. This guy may bury the cable which would take longer.

The second guy may just run a single cable and pin it to the house, fence etc.

Without understanding what they both think they are quoting on, it's difficult to say whether the first quote is outrageous or not.

Personally, for a days work with you supplying all the materials I'd agree with Lee and SBEC and say £250 is about right.

You could be talking chalk and cheese here, get a written quote for similar installations and then go from there, £250 sounds cheap, you start of talking about garden lights and then mention a camera? Garden lights, security lights and camera sounds like more than a days work to me, I think the £250 quote will end up being more.

£250 is cheap for supplying the cable as well, would think he won't be installing the cable correctly and won't be supplying a certificate. Put in writing what you want done and get 3 quotes, easiest and most thorough way.

Then of course there's other factors.
Some electricians will really hike the price up if they are asked to quote for a job, and its a PITA, or the customer looks like he/she is going to be a PITA (like he wants to provide all the materials - a process that from experience ends up with more work for the electrician because customers get what they think is needed and not what is correct).
Or maybe he doesnt want to crawl around in your garden in March, there maybe easier jobs to do...

Just saying....

Thanks for the replies guys. Just to be clear, I will be buying all the materials and we already have a garden cable (just not attached). What I want to know is, in regards to installation electricity in the garden, does it sound proper to install the initial cable in the current fuse box (not creating another one) and run it around the garden installing transformers on the fence.

Reply to Two completely different quotes for garden lighting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net