Currently reading:
Two phases in one light switch... regulated against?

Discuss Two phases in one light switch... regulated against? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Whilst there is nothing wrong with fitting a notice you need to realise this is not something you need to note on an EICR.

To have different phases in a light switch in a 3 phase installation is common and although the regs state a warning notice if voltages exceed 230v to earth (514.10.1) it is good practice to install label inside switch in fact MK provide one with grid yokes. My issue is with the two point of isolation eg fed from two distribution boards. Therefore I refer to Reg 514.11.1 .
Whilst there is nothing wrong with fitting a notice you need to realise this is not something you need to note on an EICR.
May be not but it should be something to consider in reducing a risk for others that may assume. I referred in my post to Reg 514.11.1 which in turn refers to Reg 337.2.1.3.

I have no issues with two phases, but I always fix a notice about the sources of supply being in two different 'main' DB's when they meet in a fitting. It's the same as orange wiring being used in a control panel to indicate an externally-fed circuit that the local main switch won't isolate. This situation does exist in large banks of switches in industrial locations but not normally a humble 2-way at the bottom of a stairwell - it's a different situation to two circuits from the same DB which is quite normal.

First, as the OP says, someone working on the switch might thinkg a lockout on the DB main switch would solve any possibility of either circuit being energised, and then be foiled when someone turns the other DB on. But more insidious is what happens if the two sides became interconnected, when neither section of the installation could be isolated by its main switch. You would only test insulation with respect to circuits in the local board, so if the other board were off the test would not reveal the problem. Then it would be backfed and everything live, but non-operational due to the neutral being isolated.

We would all prefer that only competent sparks changed accessories but we also know that most handy folks feel competent to do a like-for-like swap of a broken switch. A warning sign would help alert them to the consequences of getting things muddled up in this particular switch.

Last edited:
I have multiple phases in one switch enclosure in several places in my own house. No big deal, and no one really wants scary notices all over a domestic installation.
What I do though is to use grid switches, and write a warning on the internal grid.
I also leave a little note to posterity on a piece of folded paper inside the box, warning about the inter-phase voltage present, and often a sketch of the circuit if it's not straightforward.
But then I'm a romantic who often stuffs structural voids with old magazines, newspapers, and redundant children's toys ...

I have multiple phases in one switch enclosure in several places in my own house. No big deal, and no one really wants scary notices all over a domestic installation.
What I do though is to use grid switches, and write a warning on the internal grid.
I also leave a little note to posterity on a piece of folded paper inside the box, warning about the inter-phase voltage present, and often a sketch of the circuit if it's not straightforward.
But then I'm a romantic who often stuffs structural voids with old magazines, newspapers, and redundant children's toys ...
Unusual to have multiple phases in a domestic property, at least for basic lighting purposes? (my bold) Or do you mean multiple separate circuits fed from a single phase supply?

Unusual to have multiple phases in a domestic property, at least for basic lighting purposes? (my bold) Or do you mean multiple separate circuits fed from a single phase supply?
Hi David - No, I meant what I said. Three phase supply to my old farmhouse. I balance the loads across the phases: in this case three IR wall heaters in my workshop, and three metal halide hi-bays in a garage. Both installations switched from single-enclosure 3 gang gridswitches.
I believe it's better practice to share loads across phases, and so use thinner, easily-terminated cables, rather than jamming heavy loads onto one phase for no good reason. The presence of the interphase voltage in any one switch enclosure does not worry me at all.
Cheers, Mark

ps. Of course supplied from a TP breaker in both cases. NOT multiple supply.

Hi David - No, I meant what I said. Three phase supply to my old farmhouse. I balance the loads across the phases: in this case three IR wall heaters in my workshop, and three metal halide hi-bays in a garage. Both installations switched from single-enclosure 3 gang gridswitches.
I believe it's better practice to share loads across phases, and so use thinner, easily-terminated cables, rather than jamming heavy loads onto one phase for no good reason. The presence of the interphase voltage in any one switch enclosure does not worry me at all.
Cheers, Mark

ps. Of course supplied from a TP breaker in both cases. NOT multiple supply.
Ha, right sorry for the confusion, that makes perfect sense now, thanks.

I have no issues with two phases, but I always fix a notice about the sources of supply being in two different 'main' DB's when they meet in a fitting. It's the same as orange wiring being used in a control panel to indicate an externally-fed circuit that the local main switch won't isolate. This situation does exist in large banks of switches in industrial locations but not normally a humble 2-way at the bottom of a stairwell - it's a different situation to two circuits from the same DB which is quite normal.

First, as the OP says, someone working on the switch might thinkg a lockout on the DB main switch would solve any possibility of either circuit being energised, and then be foiled when someone turns the other DB on. But more insidious is what happens if the two sides became interconnected, when neither section of the installation could be isolated by its main switch. You would only test insulation with respect to circuits in the local board, so if the other board were off the test would not reveal the problem. Then it would be backfed and everything live, but non-operational due to the neutral being isolated.

We would all prefer that only competent sparks changed accessories but we also know that most handy folks feel competent to do a like-for-like swap of a broken switch. A warning sign would help alert them to the consequences of getting things muddled up in this particular switch.
This thread is getting on a bit but I agree - while it may be common to have more than one phase feeding a bank of switches, in this scenario where each property is fed from a separate single phase consumer unit and the switch in question is for a staircase to a residential property it may give rise to confusion, especially if it's a one piece moulded switch as opposed to a grid switch.

Reply to Two phases in one light switch... regulated against? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock