Discuss Two showers off one supply in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Some time ago I built a toilet and shower area at the end of my detached garage for use when doing outside DIY or gardening jobs instead of traipsing through the house with mucky clothes, etc. When I built this I ran a 6mm cable into the garage for the 8.5 kW electric shower through a 45 amp mcb.

Since then I have had a garden room built fairly close to the garage which we use occasionally to accommodate relatives and friends when they stay over. I now want to add an en-suite to this, and obviously would want to include a shower in it.

The en-suite shower will only be used very occasionally so I'd prefer to use the existing supply in the garage. The problem here, of course, would be if the two showers were both used at the same time. This would be a very unlikely event but nevertheless I'd like to come up with some way of preventing it from happening - short of standing outside the door!

Can any of you think of a way of achieving this - for example is there some kind of toggle switch available to allow either one to be supplied while switching off the other?

In the small-signal, machine control world that I inhabited before I retired we accomplished such things by the use of relays but I have no idea about such things in domestic electrics.

What about feeding the 2nd shower from the combi boiler.

You can run the supply into a change over switch then feed each shower from there. This would obviously mean that you can switch between each accessory but they cannot be operated simultaneously.
https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...hUKEwjxo5bglc_fAhUBAXIKHdRSBygQ9aACCDc&adurl=

Many thanks. Would this sort of thing do:
63AMP 2 POLE IP65 ENCLOSED CHANGE OVER SWITCH | eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/63AMP-2-POLE-IP65-ENCLOSED-CHANGE-OVER-SWITCH/172741581031?hash=item28383358e7:g:m2oAAOSwN2VZSjEm:rk:7:pf:0

We have no idea whether the OP is notifying this job or not he has just asked for advice regarding the install. It is fair enough to ask the question but sharp unhelpful responses are non productive and not necessary, such posts have now been deleted.

Moderators have all the fun! And I thought it was only blondes!
(Picture : Westward10 in blonde wig enjoying the best of BOTH worlds)

If the work encompasses a whole refurbishment, doesn't need a specific notification, as long as its suitably designed, installed, inspected, tested & certified.

OP my comment was not aimed at you.

Well, my last comment was removed, and so what I said still stands. Most of these forums seem to be largely occupied by a little holier-than-thou clique, and this one appears to be no exception. I noticed that only last week someone was unfairly attacked and patronised when asking a question about a faulty cooker.

Many thanks to those who did supply useful information, but I'll try elsewhere in future.

Your last comment was removed due to the fact it referenced the post which caused the initial problem.

Well, my last comment was removed, and so what I said still stands. Most of these forums seem to be largely occupied by a little holier-than-thou clique, and this one appears to be no exception. I noticed that only last week someone was unfairly attacked and patronised when asking a question about a faulty cooker.

Many thanks to those who did supply useful information, but I'll try elsewhere in future.
I think Westward was very fair and correct to remove the posts, it was partly in your defense. (being a moderator is a thankless job!)
This forum has lots of good members who are happy to offer sensible advise. But they also feel a duty to protect people from potential danger or injury occurring from ignorance.
I use the word "ignorance" because often people choose to ignore safety in favor of quick cheap fixes. I'm not saying this is the case in your situation, but it is very often the case and after a while some long standing members get (understandably) frustrated and may respond in a sharp, patronising manner.
You find this on most forums regardless of the content. I'm a member of quite a few different forums on a wide range of subjects and the pattern is always the same. You get the cranks and you get the job's worths. Trust me this forum tends to be one of the better ones, with very few of either.

Reply to Two showers off one supply in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock