Discuss Two storage heaters and supply. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

It looks like it will be more expensive. What is the most economically way of doing it. Client has one meter that it switch itself to second tarrif at nights.

You will need either a timer rated to switch the combined loads of the two storage heaters or a timer and contactor (Obviously the contactor will have to be rated for the combined loads of the two storage heaters).

Your profile has you as an Electrical engineer, should you need to ask questions like this?

I didn’t know until quite recently that any energy providers now switch all electricity usage to an off peak tariff.
It used to be there were two meters one for normal and the other for off peak heating.

Hi @Mazak
A few things you need to consider here:-

-You will probably have multiple circuits here IE 2 x heater supplies and a control circuit to operate them, your design needs to reflect you have multiple circuits running through a device so adequate markings should be affixed.
-You can run the loads direct from a timer device if it has multiple channels 'volts free' if they are fully rated for the loads although this can be a cheaper method it often can be more expensive to repair as any failure of the elements through a fault can weld the contacts closed and you have effectively destroyed the most expensive to repair part, getting a cheap 24hr or 7day timer to pull in 1 or 2 contactors would be my preferred method, the cost won't be much different but future issues should be less costly to repair or replace.
-I suggested the control is its own circuit so a fault on any storage heater only effects its own circuit and you still will have the other heater(s) operational.

So in a nutshell I would suggest using 3 circuits (2 heater and 1 control), get a cheap timer to pull in 2 no' contactors rated for 25amps and mark up the enclosures with a warning of multiple circuits ..... also use neon DP switches, this means you can diagnose issues with the customer over the phone and sometimes pre-empt repair or save a callout by instructing them to over-ride the timer and see if the neons are working.

Thanks all of you for helpful answers.
I would go for two o those :
British General Digital Single-Channel Timer Consumer Unit Module - https://www.screwflix..com/p/british-general-digital-single-channel-timer-consumer-unit-module/7351p

I personally wouldn't run the load through timers, I would always use a heavier rated contactor to do the switching, this limits costs when elements fail etc as mentioned in my previous post and also heavier rated contactors have a higher chance of handling a fault current without consequence, it is up to you at the end of the day but unless you have different time requirements for the storage heaters then you only need 1 timer otherwise your just creating more work having to program 2 up the same.

If i will buy one timer it must be two channels, right? Then two contractors lets say 20A each, connect all three units will take some time as well. Resistive load in timer I am going to buy is 3.6kW and bigger storage heater is 3.3 so it is still 10% marigin.

No your timer controls your contactor why do you need 2 separate ones you can do it by 1 timer controlling a 4pole contactor with your 2 circuits controlled by it but I would suggest having 2 contactors so if one fails you have redundancy and heating still.

Reply to Two storage heaters and supply. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock