Discuss Two way and intermediate switching in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

D Skelton

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
How do you guys do it? Referring to the two pictres below, what are the pro's and cons to the two different methods? I'm trying to settle a minor dispute with a friend :)

2 way switching.jpg

both ways are acceptable, i use the left one if only to do away with 1 choc connector. BTW, where the hell did you get the software to do such diagrams. i've been looking everywhere.

Well DS take no notice as it seems we are the only 2 so far that do it the right way, the others would rather stuff 2 cables into a small termination of a switch plate and leave the chance of having a poor termination that could be a point of an heat spot that could lead to a breakdown or in the worse case heat damage and fire .............:shades_smile:

That was my exact argument too :) at least with one termination in each you can bend the cable end providing a nice tight termination but with two cables, terminated into one termination, you can't do the same for both.

Edit: Just realised what a mouthful that sentence is haha. termination termination termination

Last edited:
but with 2 ends in the switch terminal, there's less chance of a single end missing the screw and falling out. all depends as well on the size of the hole.

:6:

Malc/Skel
you two must really struggle when doing a two way using a three core and earth. Getting the strappers, s/w, s/f in those pesky terminals. Or is done using connector and taking the s/w to other com term?

but with 2 ends in the switch terminal, there's less chance of a single end missing the screw and falling out. all depends as well on the size of the hole.

:6:

And when putting a single cable in a hole we double the end over, effectively making it two cables to fill the hole. So is there a problem in getting two cables in a hole?.............ER no.
What on earth are they on about Tel'?

Last edited by a moderator:
And when putting a single cable in a hole we double the end over, effectively making it two cables to fill the hole. So is there a problem in getting two cables in a hole?.............ER no.

I would have made that point too, although I would have been a bit less patronising in the way I made it :)

Malc/Skel
you two must really struggle when doing a two way using a three core and earth. Getting the strappers, s/w, s/f in those pesky terminals. Or is done using connector and taking the s/w to other com term?

I'm not quite sure I understand your question. Am I being dumb?

But you young,uns have been brought up on this single core conductor, where as with a good old bit of 3/029 you could always take a stand off to make it fit easier.

BnD lol I have to admit that I wire 2 way with the 2 conductors in the L1 L2 terminals, it was just for some reason I was taught intermediate with connectors, I blame my sparks who trained me he was a cantankerous old sod

so shall we now discuss the merits of choc block vs wago vs crimp . tin hat on.

images (3).jpg

Last edited:
Okay, How do you do a two way circuit?

With the switch feed in the common and the switched live in a choc block as in the picture on the right. Personally, I find it a nicer layout within the confines of the pattress/KO box and also because I like to fit one doubled over cable end in each termination rather than two straight cable ends.

so shall we now discuss the merits of choc block vs wago vs crimp

choc block all the way!

Last edited:

Reply to Two way and intermediate switching in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net