Discuss two way switch and extra light in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

geller

Hello
I have just moved to a new house and i have a large workshop at the bottom of my garden.
It has 1 strip light in it off of 1 light switch.

I want to add an extra strip light and add another switch at the opposite end of the room ( a 2 way circuit)

My question is, can i just link the 2nd strip light to the 1st with 1.5mm 2 core and earth.
Then link up the 2nd switch to the 1st switch with 3core and earth to make it 2way lighting ?

and is this job ok for me to do or should i get a qualified electrician in ?

Thank you.

Hi

yes you can just come off the first strip light and yeah just run a 3 core to the other switch, its pretty basic stuff !!!but all depends on how confident you are, if in any doubt give a spark a shout!! :)

I have a basic knowledge but wanted to be sure.
It seemed straight forward enough.
I don't mind doing it myself but wasn't sure if it was notifiable or not by an electrician.

Thanks guys

Hi

yes you can just come off the first strip light and yeah just run a 3 core to the other switch, its pretty basic stuff !!!but all depends on how confident you are, if in any doubt give a spark a shout!! :)

This is notifyable work so he should get a spark in. ;)

or he could just do the work save himself a hole lot of hassle and money
sometimes doing the right thing the right way just isnt worth the effort

He could do it himself he might even electricute himself, fall off the step ladder or fall through the loft. most accidents are caused by DIY "experts". Best to get an electrician:)

Last edited by a moderator:
As it is notifyable, he would have to notify BC before the work commences, which would be a lot more expensive than just getting a registered spark in......!?!?!;)

since when is extending that lighting circuit Part P work? its not a NEW circuit nor is it in a special location. its non notifiable minor works and not under the scope of PP...its important that we are all singing off the same hymn sheet here!

its straight forward mate but save yourself a lot of agro and get a spark in

Last edited by a moderator:
since when is extending that lighting circuit Part P work? its not a NEW circuit nor is it in a special location. its non notifiable minor works and not under the scope of PP...its important that we are all singing off the same hymn sheet here!

its straight forward mate but save yourself a lot of agro and get a spark in

Well I havent agreed with much else The Truth has said but he is correct on this one, please see the link below.

http://www.the50plus.co.uk/tech_support/Part_P_Guide.pdf

Near the bottom somewhere

considering he already knew how to rig it up and was asking for confirmation not an explantation then why not, pp is really starting to take over.

Thanks for all the responses :)

Additional quick question.

I have gone out and bought the new Strip light and 2 x 2way switches.

On looking at the strip light already in the garage, it seems wired funny !
It has a L/N/E block in it which it is wired with 1.5mm 2core and earth going to the C/u.
Then in the same terminal block, there is another length of 1.5mm 2core and earth going to the Current Switch on the wall.

So each of the L/N/E terminals has 2 wires coming from it. Is this correct
I am asking this because i have changed a ceiling rose to a light that has only L/N/E before and i believe i had to terminal block 2 of the lives (i think they were from the loop terminals ?) together.

Am i confusing myself or is the current wiring ok ??

Thanks for all the responses :)

Additional quick question.

I have gone out and bought the new Strip light and 2 x 2way switches.

On looking at the strip light already in the garage, it seems wired funny !
It has a L/N/E block in it which it is wired with 1.5mm 2core and earth going to the C/u.
Then in the same terminal block, there is another length of 1.5mm 2core and earth going to the Current Switch on the wall.

So each of the L/N/E terminals has 2 wires coming from it. Is this correct
I am asking this because i have changed a ceiling rose to a light that has only L/N/E before and i believe i had to terminal block 2 of the lives (i think they were from the loop terminals ?) together.

Am i confusing myself or is the current wiring ok ??
How many lights are on the circuit mate.If you have 1 from the CU and 1 from the switch,the 2 reds/browns should be in a connector block on there own,black/blue from the CU in the N connection,black/blue from switch with some brown sleeving to the L and the earth's speak for themselves.

The garage has a garage c/u with a 16A, 6A and RCD in it.
There is just the one light and switch there plus 3 double sockets.

It all looks quite new to me (Wires are Brown, Blue and Green/Yellow) and all i want to do is add an extra light and switch as it's quite big and there is 2 access points to the building.

The garage has a garage c/u with a 16A, 6A and RCD in it.
There is just the one light and switch there plus 3 double sockets.

It all looks quite new to me (Wires are Brown, Blue and Green/Yellow) and all i want to do is add an extra light and switch as it's quite big and there is 2 access points to the building.
I don't understand why you have 2 cables on L & N connections,are there 2 connections on the earth as well.Can you trace the cables to the CU and switch

Reply to two way switch and extra light in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net