Discuss type and ratings of BS EN 60898 circut breakers in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

Ryan Kavanagh

hi guys,

Were will i find the infomation for what type and rating of BS EN 60898 circut breakers for specific circuts?

Ive been trying to look through the 17th edition but can seem to find anything.

thanks

select protection device according to the cable size. the rating if the device must be less than the current capacity of the cable ( allowing for derating ), e.g. if you have a 2.5mm circuit with a ccc of 23A, you would select a 16A or 20A MCB. on circuits with high start up currents, e,g. motors, you would select a type c or d. then you work out your Zs for the circuit and make sure it's below the max. allowede for the chosen MCB. if it's not, start again.

so am i right in each of the following.

1. disturubtion circut to an out building (workshop) e.g SWA. = not sure on this on????

2. Shower unit = b32

3. A kitchen downlighter circut = b6

4. A downstairs lighting circut with a 1kw load = b6

Like Tel says , size of mcb depends on size of cable, size of cable depends on size of load. Appx 4 in the regs takes you through circuit design, albeit quite in depth.

so for example we need to add the load up of all the downstiars lighting circut together to determine the full load, then determine the size of the cable?

I thought that the lighting was just done on 1.5mm

1.5mm is generally used for lighting ( domestic) as a " 1 size fits all", the load on a domestic lighting circuit is very rarely exceeding the ccc of 1.5mm. if it does, you split into 2 or more circuits.

so for example we need to add the load up of all the downstiars lighting circut together to determine the full load, then determine the size of the cable?

I thought that the lighting was just done on 1.5mm not necessarily

Yes, add up the total wattage of all the loads on circuit to calculate the design current. Then take it from there.
As Andy ^^^ said, look at Appendix 4.

Are you on any kind of a course at the moment?

Depends what price you pay for your cable. 1mm might be sufficient, and cheaper.

also cause the unit im on at the min its starting to get really technical so im struggling to keep up. im also struggling to make sense of the 17th edition.

Ive had to buy other material to read which is on its way to me.

yes, but the ccc of the cable must be more than the MCB rating.

Hi Ryan Kavanagh,

Alana here from OLCI Construction Training.

I understand that one of our tutor's has been in touch with you today. If you are still unsure about any aspect of your course please call me on 0800 316 8100. Alternatively, you can email me on [email protected] with a phone number and a suitable time to call you back.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes,

Alana Fox

Thanks a lot

Do you know how to confirm the integrity of the live conductors of this circuit under short circuit condition.16 a type c circuit breaker and earth fault loop impedance of 1.35
Sounds like a home work question.
The integrity of the live conductors sounds very odd. The integrity of the cable could be tested with an insulation resistance test, the continuity of the conductors can be tested with a continuity test.
If you have a 16A C type and Zs of 1.35 measured at ambient temperature then this would not comply because the limit is 1.16, if it had been corrected to 70 deg C then the limit is 1.44.

Reply to type and ratings of BS EN 60898 circut breakers in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock